The Frugel-Horn Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mike - I'm sure Dave could dig those out from his archives, but is there any reason why you'd not want to consider the FH3?
I've personally built at least one pair of every model during the evolution of the FH family - literally dozens altogether, there are three pairs of FH3 in my storage room at the moment- and would consider the latest model a substantial step forward in performance. Aside from the curved side panels, it's also a much simpler build.

This is how my sunday morning looked... We have two pairs of fh3s in the house. Both with MA CHR70. One mine, and one father's. And since dad is out for the weekend, I borrowed his pair to make a conparison.

His are made from mdf, and mine from a too light plywood. Not birch. Initially I wanted to test if material makes a lot of difference. And it does, the mdf version had a bit better pronounced mids. But when I was finishing my testing, I connected both pairs. Two per chanel, in series. Because my amp couldnt cope with them if wired paralel.

I feel obliged to tell you that it sounded nothing short of spectacular! Open, powerful, spot on. I guess there must have been some comb filter action, but strangely nothing bothersom.

Now I need some understanding what was going om in my living room:
- did the amp like 16ohm so much that it decided to show all its glory?
- did somewhat combined baffle width add to fuller sound?
- less dostortion because of smaller cone travel?
- simply combined Sd that did its magic?

I am trying to understand this magic... And maybe design speakers with two chr70 in each:p

87f1b0ee81470958240e1d3bf61402bf.jpg

Hi

I've recently bought a pair of Scanspeak 15W/4524T02 (limited edition) and it has a rather low QTS of 0.3 and was wondering if this driver could work in a Frugel-Horn type of enclosure ?

Are there any guideline on what the drivers specs should be ?

Is this right place ask, if not, please don't be afraid to show me the right way! :)

Thanks guys,
Chuck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.