which 8' fostex ? ff225k, fe206e, fe208ES, fe206ES-R ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

all drivers you mentioned are horn drivers so I guess that's your desired enclosure?!

You will get a lot of music out of a FE206e. FE208e Sigma and FF225k will need a helper-tweeter and FE206ES-R is close to "sold-out" in Europe (but would be the best IMHO).

If your goal is a simple enclosure than FE207e might be an alternative. There are "easy" enclosures/designs for FE206e too but I never heard one beside the horn so far.

Regards
Thorsten

I do have a pro ring tweeter so let's say the very highs aren't a problem.

I will try many enclosures but I'm thinking of nagaoka or other back horns.

What I'd like to know is how these speakers sound. The fe206e is very dynamic with a clear and neutral midrange, good midbass impact bu no bass and a little harsness in the highs (IMHO).

What about the others ? Are the 208ES and the 206ES-R worth their high cost ?

regards

Hi,

you will hardly find someone who listened to all or even could compare them 1:1.

I'ver heard FE206e in it's Fostex recommended as well as FE208e Sigma and I heard FE206ES-R in a reflex cab.

FE206e has a very good money/value ration. 208e Sigma will add more detail in the midrange and if you add a tweeter highrange will be no question. Bass is nearly the same when put into the recommended horns. Sigma has a bit more "punch".

Regards
Thorsten

well .....

the reflex cab is not the right enclosure. With a series resistor (8.2 ohm) you can put him in 55 liter reflex but the midrange will be forward.

In the recommended horn you will get the same bass as FE206e / FE208e Sigma, a midrange close to 208 Sigma and a better highrange due to the whizzer.

Bottom line: if you want to use your tweeter take 208e Sigma if not try FE206ES-R (if available).

Regards
Thorsten

gday!
nice question in the headline. do you have some place in your city where you can test any of these drivers, using at least simple enclosure?
I'm - not. it's pity, but we're develop "Acoustic studio" in our city. our customer will be able to do it. I plan to show Fostex, Monacor, latter Lowther over there. try to take Sonido from Hungary - interesting drivers, but couldn't yet.
and now I cut boxes for testing - closed - several for T/s measuring, ported a few and TQWP (it's done 1 pcs). hope it'll be nice place for DIY'ers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.