Fr125s Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There was some work done on MLTL's with this driver. Too little bass isn't it's problem though, most of us have to cut it back.

I wonder if anyone's tried a Voigt pipe though?

Ummm, what else... bipoles sound great, as do mini Onkens.

You'll find with any enclosure that you'll run out of Xmax long before power handling with bass below 100Hz.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

So I've read. In my horn designing experience it appears to be too small, so I'm not surprised.

Anyway, to get the 'best' out of this, or any ~FR driver really, is to mount it on an open baffle and XO it to a large woofer or four. Once you move away from this alignment it becomes a matter of trade-offs, so other than height, what are any other limitations because like I said, a cab with enough gain/BW to keep it from bottoming at rated power down to below 40 Hz will be relatively huge.

GM

Greets!

Unless it's near/at a wall or corner, it needs to be at least 36" wide/tall for 80 Hz, though it can be made with wings and folded back a little to slightly narrow it to the eye and smooth the blend to the room. Another trick to fool the eye and improve blending to the room is to make it tapered on one side where the mean is 36" at the midpoint of its height.

GM

ok, having a think, instead of making a new enclosure, i could make a bass enclosure for ..
--one 8 Ohm 6 1/2" bass driver (on front)--
--two 4 Ohm 6 1/2 Bass drivers in paralel(on front)--
--one 8 Ohm 8" Bass driver (on the side)--
(could add a Passive Radiator aswell)

using the same width and depth of my standmounter and around 600mm tall. (it would be 20L in volume)

creating a 2 or 2.5 way with two enclosures with the FR125 crossing at around 80-100Hz

looking for mabye £40ish each for drivers (or £30 for the 4Ohm ones)

pic---
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

inrank said:
so what would be my best option for a PAWO sized cabinet or shall i just keep my existing ones.....

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Greets!

Don't know, I'm not set up to quickly reverse engineer to meet a specific size. FWIW, once you move away from a single FR125S and space is an issue, I recommend one of these bipole designs: http://www.planet10-hifi.com/boxes-CSS.html

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.