Veravox 7x - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2006, 10:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Veravox 7x

I wanted to put a little info together on the Veravox 7x I received. In a nutshell, Iím impressed and glad I took the leap.

Iíve had them running in for a week and a half, but have to say that they are the first speaker Iíve had that have sounded great out of the box. A little boomy at first, but that subsided after just a couple hours.

I have them mounted OB, with an LCY-110 on top, though have to admit that a supertweeter isnít an absolute with these.

They donít make a lot of low bass, but plenty to get down to sub level. I think I have mine rolling in around 60 hz or so. Baffle is about 30Ē x 48Ē.

The first thing I noticed when I hooked them up was that my soundstage that had disappeared with the 168E Sigma and 166ES-R came back in spades. It was almost scary, like I had hooked a SET am back up.

Iím not sure what it is that makes them so special, but perhaps the lack of whizzer cone or vented pole piece? Iím not sure. They are well built, though the cast frame isnít quite as beefy as the Sigmas. Compared to the Fostex, these seem to be a different line of thinking.

Youíll note that they do have a double magnet assembly. Iím not sure if itís two magnets working together or shielded, but not sure I care too much at this point.

I took the opportunity to turn them up a little the other day, as the neighbors were out. I was blown away and how clean they sound. Really nice and undistorted. The LCY seems a tad less efficient, but when turned up, they seemed more inline. Right now, I have 1.72 uf worth of caps on the LCY and they sound pretty good. I will experiment with that more in the future.

I am posting a grouping of picts below. A pretty sharp driver that I think can hold itís own at itís price point pretty easily, though Iíve hardly heard everything.

If it matters, Iím powering these with a 40w Gainclone, built by the same guy who designed the Patek amp, as this was a prototype of the Audio Zone Amp-1. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vera7x-2.jpg (50.8 KB, 924 views)
Old 19th April 2006, 10:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Another image. Sorry for the quality, but it was really hard to get these small enough, even with a lot of compression...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vera7x-3.jpg (50.3 KB, 871 views)
Old 19th April 2006, 11:34 PM   #3
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

A VERY nice driver.. Had I know these (and the 5S and 5X) were still available then I never would have purchased the 166 ESR's. (Hmm, perhaps I should lop-off the whizzer?)
Old 20th April 2006, 01:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Illusus said he took his off and found they deliver quite a bit more detail. Note that he's using the phase plugs from Dave, (planet 10) as well.
Old 20th April 2006, 02:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Phase plugs first. Think about cropping the whizzer later. Bit drastic, that. (Says me -a person who dislikes whizzers)
Old 20th April 2006, 03:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

One more note, removing the whizzer removes a lot of treble. Illusus said he think it rolls off somewhere around 7k.

Cheers!
Old 20th April 2006, 04:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Who is the US distributor for Veravox? Thanks

James
Old 20th April 2006, 05:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I got mine from Solen of Canada, www.solen.ca.
Old 20th April 2006, 07:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi one1speed,

I am happy to hear that the Veravox 7X drivers are helping you to enjoy the music.

You mentioned that the LCY 110 super tweeter seemed a little less efficient than the Veravox.

Have you had an opportunity to experiment with different crossover points yet?

The Veravox has a fairly high frequency roll off. Possibly you could try crossing the LCY tweeters over above 10kHz.

Or, do you feel that you are not getting enough treble information?

Please let us know how this works out.

And congratulations on your quality speaker purchase, they look great.

Norris Wilson
Old 20th April 2006, 08:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Norris

Thanks for the thoughts. I have messed with the crossover a bit, started with 1 uf and now I'm at 1.72. I may go a touch more and add .1uf. I think it's close.

I had thought I would hear more of the LCY, as it's a bit subtle on all recordings, regardless of quality. I have to wonder if it's the caps taking the efficiency down a touch. And, I wonder if that will balance out once I get everything on the final baffle, as I'll have a cap on the 7x as well. If it balances out, I may even try a coil on the 7x and bringing in the LCY at 6k with the crossover LCY recommended. This also brings up the sensitivity to 95 db on teh LCY according to what they sent me. I was hoping to keep things a bit simpler than that, but it may make sense to take full advantage of the LCY.

I remember reading a report of the Fostex 208E Sig in the Fostex horn that Fostex had set up at a show. It was receiving raves. But when someone went and took a closer look, they realized the 208 was rolled off and there was a more substantial crossover in place than expected on the 208 and the horn supertweet. I believe TCain recommends a third order on the horn supertweets. Something to think about.

Cheers.

Hide this!Advertise here!