Veravox 7x

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wanted to put a little info together on the Veravox 7x I received. In a nutshell, I’m impressed and glad I took the leap.

I’ve had them running in for a week and a half, but have to say that they are the first speaker I’ve had that have sounded great out of the box. A little boomy at first, but that subsided after just a couple hours.

I have them mounted OB, with an LCY-110 on top, though have to admit that a supertweeter isn’t an absolute with these.

They don’t make a lot of low bass, but plenty to get down to sub level. I think I have mine rolling in around 60 hz or so. Baffle is about 30” x 48”.

The first thing I noticed when I hooked them up was that my soundstage that had disappeared with the 168E Sigma and 166ES-R came back in spades. It was almost scary, like I had hooked a SET am back up.

I’m not sure what it is that makes them so special, but perhaps the lack of whizzer cone or vented pole piece? I’m not sure. They are well built, though the cast frame isn’t quite as beefy as the Sigmas. Compared to the Fostex, these seem to be a different line of thinking.

You’ll note that they do have a double magnet assembly. I’m not sure if it’s two magnets working together or shielded, but not sure I care too much at this point.

I took the opportunity to turn them up a little the other day, as the neighbors were out. I was blown away and how clean they sound. Really nice and undistorted. The LCY seems a tad less efficient, but when turned up, they seemed more inline. Right now, I have 1.72 uf worth of caps on the LCY and they sound pretty good. I will experiment with that more in the future.

I am posting a grouping of picts below. A pretty sharp driver that I think can hold it’s own at it’s price point pretty easily, though I’ve hardly heard everything.

If it matters, I’m powering these with a 40w Gainclone, built by the same guy who designed the Patek amp, as this was a prototype of the Audio Zone Amp-1. Enjoy!

Attachments

• vera7x-2.jpg
    vera7x-2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,040
Hi one1speed,

I am happy to hear that the Veravox 7X drivers are helping you to enjoy the music.

You mentioned that the LCY 110 super tweeter seemed a little less efficient than the Veravox.

Have you had an opportunity to experiment with different crossover points yet?

The Veravox has a fairly high frequency roll off. Possibly you could try crossing the LCY tweeters over above 10kHz.

Or, do you feel that you are not getting enough treble information?

Please let us know how this works out.

And congratulations on your quality speaker purchase, they look great.

Norris Wilson

Norris

Thanks for the thoughts. I have messed with the crossover a bit, started with 1 uf and now I'm at 1.72. I may go a touch more and add .1uf. I think it's close.

I had thought I would hear more of the LCY, as it's a bit subtle on all recordings, regardless of quality. I have to wonder if it's the caps taking the efficiency down a touch. And, I wonder if that will balance out once I get everything on the final baffle, as I'll have a cap on the 7x as well. If it balances out, I may even try a coil on the 7x and bringing in the LCY at 6k with the crossover LCY recommended. This also brings up the sensitivity to 95 db on teh LCY according to what they sent me. I was hoping to keep things a bit simpler than that, but it may make sense to take full advantage of the LCY.

I remember reading a report of the Fostex 208E Sig in the Fostex horn that Fostex had set up at a show. It was receiving raves. But when someone went and took a closer look, they realized the 208 was rolled off and there was a more substantial crossover in place than expected on the 208 and the horn supertweet. I believe TCain recommends a third order on the horn supertweets. Something to think about.

Cheers.

One1speed,

Nice writeup; well thought out and described. A few questions:

Are the Veravox more like a Lowther than a Fostex in terms of clarity (I would say "transparent", but I don't like using that word)?

How much treble extension do you think the 7x is putting out?

Thanks.

Thanks all for the responses. I'm sure you're correct felixx and that these needs more break in. Quite a bit more, I'd imagine. But I wanted to get some sort of info out there, as there was some interest in this driver.

As far as how this compares to the 168E Sigma, tough to say, as the Sigma was well broken in. I would describe the Sigma as more lucious or romantic, if that makes sense, yet still detailed and neutral. (remember we're comparing two very good drivers here) The Veravox seems to be a bit tighter sounding, a touch more dynamic. Very strong leading edges, etc. I tend to like that. I lived with the Sigma for about 2 years and was never disappointed. I'd highly recommend them.

The other note is the soundstaging. I know this doesn't matter to a lot of folks, and while it's not the end all, I enjoy it. In my BIBs, the Sigmas were fantastic, but not so much on OB. I'd guess this is due to a lack of room treatment behind the baffles. Anyway, these are test baffles I'm currently using, and I've listened to 166ES-Rs, the Sigmas and Lowther DX55s. With all of these drivers, the sound stage was pretty smeared, no real definition. I nearly jumped out of my seat when I put the 7xs on for the first tune. Wow! I don't recal the exact song, but it had some bongos left of center that when first struck, I was blown away. As the song went on, everything had it's place. While it sounded amazing, it was nice to have that back. A big smile-maker.

Comparing this to the Lowthers is a tough one. To be honest, I didn't love them. They have a ton of clarity, but were so hot on top, I had to keep turning them down. I tried some series resistance, first 5 ohms, then two. The 2 ohm resisiter seemed a good balance, though still a little hot. They are clear and clean, but not sure they're for me. I would say the Veravox are very clean sounding. Clarity is there for sure. Something about the lack of whizzer or the aluminum dust cap, or both, that really do make these clean.

I'd say the combo of the 7x and the LCY are quite revealing. I am finding the radio a little less enjoyable due to the lack of resolution, but note my antenna is a POS. I think the LCYs help with that in bringing out the little bit of hissing and distortion.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

One1speed,

Sort of ..."triangulating" your position on the 7X with your experience with BIB, what are your impressions of 7X' potential in a BIB? I like the greater radiating surface, yet smaller than an 8, the Fs and Q are very in the game, SPL okay for a few watts one guesses, and a newly re-engineered 7X planned for release this fall. Any thoughts on a 7X BIB?

Dan...I'd think that with some design, the 7x would work out well. I find it very balanced on OB, so I think it would need some breathing room in a BIB. By guess is it would have to be fairly deep and the driver somewhat down in order for the magnet to fit and the vented pole to, well, vent.

However, I'm no pro here and I don't totally understand how the vented pole piece impacts the sound. Nor do I understand just how much room this requires when putting it into a box.

I'd think a good sized box would be necessary. I find the low end pretty nice. However, as the suspension is quite tight, I'm not sure you'd get thunderous bass, but I'd think it would be quite satisfying.

I'm curious to see what the new 7x holds for the future here. Well, that and the new hemps.

One1speed,

Thanks for the response. Interesting, I have a FE168 Sigma (old style accordian surround) and DX55 too.

The Dx55s have a frustrating combination of strengths (speed, clarity and awesome prescence) and cons (no bass). I run them in my BiBs (72"x12"x18) with EQ (eghad!) to boost bass not smacsh the top down. W/o EQ they are unlistenable. This beats my $$$ 3-way Vitavox horn system.

The Fostex is too polite.

I was hoping that the Veravox was somewhere in-between. Actually, closer to Lowther.

Does the Veravox have as much treble as the DX55 (does it sound like there is a tweeter in there)? On drums strikes does the Veravox have the "skin effect"?

Well, let me give my opinion of the DX55 first. In my mind, untouched, it has a ton of detail and is really, really hot on top. So much so, that when I was listening to male vocals, the upper registers were so strong that I had a hard time hearing the vocals. Way to much for me, very unbalanced compared to anything else I've ever heard. As I said, I had to keep turning it down.

Then, when I added series resistance, it sounded much more like the 166ES-R. A hair cleaner without the whizzer anomolies, but I guess it didn't excite me. And I tried it for a while thinking it might grow on me.

Actually, I ended up going back to the 168E Sigma and stayed with that for a while.

Then the Veravox. I would say that the upper registers sound balanced, not at all like the Lowther. I do think they sound good on the Veravox, but I get a feeling you like a hotter upper end, which the 7x does not have. Plus, it doesn't have great extension and is said to roll off around 10k.

As for the skin effect, I'll need more info. I have a feeling you're speaking of the tactile quality of drum beats. Can't speak exactly to that yet. I do have some Japanese drums I've been intending to listen to, but haven't made the time yet.

Hi one1speed,

Nice drivers... Audioplan of Germany uses the smaller brother of the 7x in their tall OB.

http://www.acousticplan.de/html/avarta_english.html

Anyways, maybe Solen could bring in the Veravox7 (w/out the X):

http://www.olimpiaudio.com/Prodotti/ATD/veravox7.html

T/S looks ideal for a BiB. Low Vas, etc. High eff too.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'd like to hear that lifelike 'skin-effect' from skinsmen like Chico Hamilton and Elvin jones.

ATD (Italy) also makes the drivers for the hideously expensive Magico Mini speakers. Drivers available at e-speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.