some advice for FE206E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I finished building my first loudspeakers( with fostex Fe206, original BR project)and I have some question.

here they are
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Since I have a lot in my house, I covered them with cork. Is it good for the sound?

Where should I put the absorbing material? Just on the upper chamber behind the driver or also in lower chamber?
thank you.

Well, the cork might cut down a trifle or edge / surface diffraction and / or reflections. It won't hurt.

You mention upper and lower chambers. I don't remember those in the BR diagrams for the FE206E in / on the Fostex site: is this a braced normal reflex enclosure or a DBR? Either way, it'll depend on what your trying to achieve. First question to ask is: are you happy with the sound as-is? If so, why change?

OK, if the sound is a bit mid-forway, I'd add some in the upper portion. If bass-heavy (I can't picture that somehow, but cover all bases is my new motto) some in the lower part. If you're still not happy, try adding some throughout.

Nice work by the way.

Best
Scott

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, though it seems a bit short for that -closer to the BR box to the lower right of the Fostex 206 horn plans. But if that's the case, I don't understand where the upper & lower chamber mentioned comes into things. If it is the DBR, then I reckon Martin King's BSC circuit for his MLTL virtual project ought to do the trick.

I followed the original bass reflex project from fostex. I thought that the bracing was another port sorry...

I like the sound but there's a lot of highs. The bass is good and I think is very deep, but it dipends a lot from the position of the speaker in the room. If I place the speaker far away from the wall the bass is less present. If I short the port the more bass I get, is it correct?

Yes.

Try the stuffing suggesions in my first post. Also, experiment with toe-in -try to angle the enclosures so they cross about 1ft in front of your listening position. That should take a bit of the sting out of the high freqencies. If that doesn't work, try adding a resistor in the + lead to the driver. Something like a 3ohm would be a good start. Finally, try the BSC circuit from Martin King's Virtual MLTL project for the FE206/7E at www.quarter-wave.com

Best
Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.