FE206ES-R, first impressions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2006, 03:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default FE206ES-R, first impressions

Hi,

today I got a chance to test my Fostex FE206ES-R. I didn't had the time to build the recommended horn enlosure so I un-screwed my Hemp FR8.0 and used my 2 cu.ft reflex cab. I used a 8.2 ohm series resistor to get him reflex-friendly

First impression: good bass (45Hz), very detailed midrange, clear high range. A quick plot shows 92dB up to 2000Hz with a 4dB rise to the top end (even with the 8.2 ohms resistor!).

A very nice driver to play with ......

Regards
Thorsten
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe206es-r.jpg (19.2 KB, 3141 views)
Old 15th April 2006, 04:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Thorsten,

Thanks for these preliminary impressions, I just received the drivers from you and would like to thank you for organizing the availability of these drivers in Europe. When do you plan to build the recommended enclosures? Contemplating other cabinets as well?
Old 15th April 2006, 04:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

the recommended horn will take some time. We have a DIY fair in November and I have to develop some kits with other drivers. Maybe Fostex Germany will build the horn for the fair.

I'm sure there will be other users here in the forum who will build it?!

Regards
Thorsten
Old 15th April 2006, 05:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

In the end I will, for sure. Maybe even before the November fair.
I think so far, only No Xo is close to finishing his cabinets.
Considering the highly praised FE206 in the regular BLH enclosure, I'm sure the ES-R will deliver something special.
Old 15th April 2006, 08:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm going to cry now.

Glad you like them though.
Old 15th April 2006, 11:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Scottmoose,

Just drop by to have a listen once they're finished.
Old 16th April 2006, 03:32 PM   #7
Jacobus is offline Jacobus  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I'm very curious how it compares to the normal 206 and to the dx serie from lowther. I was thinking of using the fe206 but if the special edition is a big step up than I might consider that one instead.

cheers,

Jacob
Old 17th April 2006, 05:40 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default my impressions

I have not broken them in very much, but the sound is a wholly different beast than the normal 206e.

like the 166 es-r, It is way chiller. I think that for me, super tweeter will be unnecessary though, whereas I have been debating a super tweeter with the 166ES-r off and on for some time now. my final decision is to not use one, and live with the softness.

I am pretty sure that the radial cone making really is playing a part here. they were able to tune out the hard resonances in the upper range from the cone and whizzer I am guessing. it is immediately audible. the result is buttloads of evenness across the spectrum. there is very little dynamic masking going on as well.

they just sound good too. very fun. kindof heavenly. definitely meant for super clean low powered triodes.

by the way, and it sortof goes without saying, the magnets are beautiful!!!

the cast frame is a big step up for me as well. the 166 es-r really deserved one. on the 166, I am still struggling with ideas and solutions on getting the things sealed and properly secured to cabinets.

having used the 166 es-rs for a year now, I can say that they have broken in unexpectedly well and slowly. they went through many stages, and have ended up becoming well endowed with beautiful tone over this last year. break in is not as dramatic as some of the other fostex drivers, because they actually sounded good out of the box. but they have a very subtle character. this character has become more and more definite and easy for the ear to attach to over the year.

the 206es-r is very very dynamic. they just disappear as well. it sounds like no noise comes from the cone. just music surrounding it. very errie. compression driver esque. I imagine many transformations into a very nice character for these drivers.

I have been using mine in small sealed cabinets for a few weeks. I cannot wait to let them fly in the reccommended enclosure. 101db here we come!

my opinion though about the drivers is that they are a steal. they sound wholly different from te normal version in almost all good ways. I found myself able to sit very close to them with no fatigue set in by shoutyness that the 206e demonstrates.

don't get me wrong though, i love the 206 E, i have a pair. they are their own thing. the 206es-r is another.

I compare it to the 166es-r only because this seems to be the second driver in a new "sound" for fostex. I think that they received alot of flack about the banana plant fibre sound over the past 6 or so years and they are wanting to redeem themselves with a less harsh sound. they are wanting to show what the banana plant is capable of.

thing is about the banana plant fibre stuff is that it ends up sounding great, it just takes FOREVER! a few years really. the difference is not subtle though. course, i am sure you all know this stuff. hope my humble opinion serves well.

I know I am quite a fanboy here, but these things really are very special I feel.

Clark
Old 17th April 2006, 12:37 PM   #9
xcortes is offline xcortes  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Do they give 101 dB in the recommended blh enclosure?
Old 17th April 2006, 03:11 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by xcortes
Do they give 101 dB in the recommended blh enclosure?
If the back-horn is properly done will only lift the bottom (so ~ <250 Hz) efficiency will still be the same as in the midband, which by Fostex spec is 98 dB.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif fe206ser-fr.gif (10.8 KB, 2210 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!