Cyburgs-Needle using W3-315SC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m planning to make a Cyburg Needle, I have recently tried to build an LongTall speaker whit pour result. So before I start my next little project I will try to fool-proofe my construction before I start.
In my LongTall I used a TB W3-315SC, and so comes the question.. In all the Cyburg-Needle designs I have seen so far they all use the TB W3-871S.
Will it also work well whit the 315SC?

I have been reading of a needle-design with Visaton FR8. But i wanted some better bass, so i made them some wider and fitted Visaton's FR10. Its was my first diy fullrange speaker project. All dimensions are allmost the same, but width now 13 cm. Now its not a needle anymore, but can be considered as "Cyburgs Pole" or something like that.
Very nice sounding, especially the stereo depth because of lacking crossover filter. The hill in the frequency curve has to be filtered though with FR10. No dig. camera at hand unfortunately.

mariusn said:
From the answers (or in this case the lack of answers) i conclude that there isn’t any that have tried the suggested construct using the mentioned driver.

Is there any way to figure out if there is a match coupling, the w3-315SC and the Cyburgs-Needle?

as you can see from the simulations in Bjohannesenäs post the W3-315 and the W3-871 perform almost the same in the bass region in the needle. Beware of the high of the W3-315, many find it too much.. I personally prefer the W3-871 is I have to listen for more than 5 minutes :rolleyes:

btw: based on simulation (I have yet to build my pair of needles) the Omnes Audio BB3.01 perform surprisingly well in the needle

yes it does. I used "half" that of the CT222 (R1, C1, L1 in the attached pic)

Attachments

• ct222 filter.png
    ct222 filter.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,120
Bjohannesen said:
Hi Marius :D

I have analysed the Needle, and the performance is the same with the Tang Band I have tested. However, the Needle is not a construction I would start búilidng - just my own personal opinion.

Hi from Bjorn

Hi Bjorn,

Any word on the newly calculated cabinets for the
tangband W3-871S ?

Yesterday i bought drivers, etc. for the Needle's, the guy at the shop told me that the TL was too long. When i look at your attachement, i get the sence that the cabinets need to be smaller?? :confused:

Please excuse me for lack of knowledge about these things. :xeye:
I can build an ok cabinet, i just don't understand what all the measuremants are about. :blush:

Thanks, Jerry T.

which shop was that?

bear in mind that the Needle is not an ordinary TL, so a simple length = quarter wave at fs does not apply here.

if you want to know more on TL's, read the theory on MJK's homepage http://www.quarter-wave.com

@Bjohannesen: could you explain what it is that lead you to your opinion that you would not like to build the Needle? just a few sims does not tell the whole story....

Speaker & Co Haarlem

I know it is not an ordinary TL, i've read the article in Elektuur Audio Special. It's just that the graph in that magazine showed a spike at the opening, i was told that that wasn't ideal. When i look at the bottom graph of the attachement from Bjorn, the line is much smoother, my understanding of this all doesn't go much further than :

Spikes - not good
Smooth line - good

Thanks for the link to site about TL. :up:
I hope i can figure it out, i'll give it a try !

Nice TangBand Henk Jan. Maybe a good drop-in replacement for my ML-TQWT with FR10.

The needle works actually as ML-TQWT and its amazing what bass response is possible with it. Thats why its not needed to adapt volume or shorten line-lenght as they said in the shop Jerry T.

And if you want it exactly what is possible, simulate your FR speaker of choice with very good AJ horn software.
http://www.aj-systems.de/
(also as freeware, but then limited pipe-length)

He told me it's the light blue line that's out of whack, but i realy wouldn't know where.
I think i'll just build 4 cabinets, 2 original and 2 like Bjorn suggests. :smash:
Then i'll take one of each to Speaker & Co and let them measure both speakers, it may take about a month but i'll post the results.:xfingers:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.