Cyburgs-Needle using W3-315SC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Bjorn

There was a christmass special in a magazine about diy audio. The Needle's were in that magazine aswell, so i guess that's why there is a bit more interest from the nederlanders.

Have you got some more specific dimensions, or perhaps a drawing for the cabinets you propose in your attachment. You mentioned dimensions of 87x14x16, i guess these are outer dimensions, what's the thickness of the material used?

I've made drawings in AutoCAD, i'll try to convert them to pictures i can post sometime this week, maybe you can comment on that?

De groeten aan je vrouw. :clown:

Jerry T.

Hi All..
@Jerry T.
I have built Bjorn's construction, and must say that I am rather pleased with the result.

Attachments

• img_3240 (custom).jpg
    img_3240 (custom).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 519
W4-657SC for needle?

Hi, I'm new in forum. Sorry my bad english, I'm for Finland:D

I have a pair of Tangband W4-657SC. I consired if I can use them in Cyburgs needle speakers? Is it possible to use other speakers than TB W3-671 and Visaton in Needle box?

W4 gives much more stronger bass response than W3. It gives about 60 Hz without damping in 12 litre reflex box with tuning 60 Hz. W4's cone can move 3,3 mm while W3 can 0,5 mm.

Sorry my dummy question but what is main idea in Needle box? Is it like reflex box? Finnish Chorus have transmission line in some of its speaker boxes. Is it same thing?

What kind of Needle box and notch filter could work with W4-657SC?

I have a pair of Tangband W4-657SC.
Sorry my dummy question but what is main idea in Needle box?

Main idea is to lower the resonance frequency of speaker-box combination to get a stunning bass response from a small driver. The small driver works in higher freq. as mid/high speaker, the air mass is added (with tuned pipe lenght also) on the membrane's weight for the low freq. This lowers the speakers resonance freq. in the TQWT.

Calculate with earlier suggested sites, build a simple MDF/chipwood tqwt alspe, and try it. Or choose an other design on www and copy it. For first try outs good to do.

I guess it can sound good, but the treble could show some roll-off at 18kHz imo, this FR rolls off very steep @ 16k. http://www.hzh-audio.com/?page_name=W4-657SC
When you are missing this treble, a super tweeter 6dB filtered@ +/- 16kHz could help. Don't use a steeper filter, this to blend tweeter's sound with the W4 and reduce fase errors. But that tweeter can be done later.

Re: W4-657SC for needle?

alspe said:
Hi, I'm new in forum. Sorry my bad english, I'm for Finland:D

I have a pair of Tangband W4-657SC. I consired if I can use them in Cyburgs needle speakers? Is it possible to use other speakers than TB W3-671 and Visaton in Needle box?

Here's Cyburgs Stick, a design by Cyburgs - the fellow that did the Needle:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=65375

It uses W4-655SA. Maybe the 655 and 657 are similar?

Thank you for information.

I'm learning about this TL subject by reading www about Needle and Buschorn projects.

This isn't anymore about W3-315C but I ask could you tell me if Buschorn MK2 is better than Needle for W4-657SC? Visually I like Needle more than Buschorn. Buschorn is too shallow without stands (77 cm).

Cyburgs Stick (link) looks very nice and it is easier to make than Buschorn. Maybe I'm going to make Sticks.

I can take pictures of project but unfortunately I don't have gadgets for measurement (except ears).

- Ali

Re: W4-657SC for needle?

alspe said:
Hi, I'm new in forum.
terve!

Apart from that I'm not sure if the W4 will actually fit in the Needle (since it is larger than a W3), I think the W4-657 is not the best FR, it's qualities are more as a mid-bass speaker. but you could let your ears be the judge and add a tweeter in case you are not happy with the sound.

I did a quick sim with the W4 in a 20% wider Needle (so inside widht 12cm) and that shows a nice curve, with some 4dB more output at 50Hz than the original Needle. This combined with the larger cone area and Xmax the dynamics of the bass will be a lot better.

Originally posted by tubee
a super tweeter 6dB filtered@ +/- 16kHz
I would advise to let the tweet come in much lower, since the W4-657 has some strong cone break-ups, try 4500Hz

Attachments

• simu_w4-657_breed.jpg
    simu_w4-657_breed.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 387
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.