Best driver for an experimental design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my high-school Engineering Design and Development class I chose to do my senior project on loudspeaker reasearch. I am not going to tell you guys exactly what my experiment is (mostly because I'm afraid you'll say it's a bad idea), but suffice it to say that I need to design a front horn for part of it. The design of the horn has to be left up to me. The final result is going to simply be a proof of concept, and therefore only 1 way and 1 channel.

I was wondering, what is the best cheap driver that provides excellent sound(for non-audiophiles).

Size doesnt matter, but it doesn't need bass extension. I was thinking of making it out of fiberglass because my shop teacher has all of the supplies and a little experience with it. On a side note: I am working on making a HiVi B3S system for my computer, should I just hold off for a couple months and use those drivers?

I will definetly tell you guys all about it once the proof of concept is done!

Dan

I am pretty new to speaker building and this forum, but I think most of the long-timers here are going to tell you that you haven't provided us with enough information to suggest a proper driver. We've got that you are building a quasi horn, but within that realm, there are many, many choices depending upon several factors (construction, design, music taste, and many other).

Then again, maybe not. But, as always, the more information you can cough up, the better.

Construction: Fiberglass
Design:I know there are several formats from exponential to tractrix exist, but which is best?
Music taste isn't a concern because it is simply to prove a physics related problem, not the best in sound quality. I am just wondering what driver will not sound terrible, I guess.

Dan

It sounds pretty simple, really. In my mind, the best driver would be the cheapest one, preferably free.

If this is truly an experimental idea, then you have no basis for comparison, so why spend money until you know how it sounds.

If this is a variation of an existing design, then use a driver suitable for that.

Doug

experimental design...

it "sounds" like a wave propigation problem, or perhaps active noise control (which in itself is a propigation problem). If this is the case pick a driver that has maximum efficiency in the frequency needed, and design the horn about that frequency. "Sounds" easy. I wish it was. I don't think the concept may be complicated, but perhaps the implementation may be, regardless of the experiment.

I agree with others that ideally a driver shouldn't limit your experiment, but you need not spend a lot , if any money for the design of the experiment. I wish I had an enlightened physics instructor in HS. I hated HS physics (but completed the major requirements for a BSc in it ). Kudos to your instructor(s) for getting students involved in expermiental design in an area of their choosing.

Originally posted by BMD
I was all set to use my existing B3S's, but when i was reading an article on horn design at

it needs a Qts between 2 and 3, and the B3S has a Qts of .93. Is that a problem?
````````````````````````````````

yes it is.

'it' needs a Qts of 0.2 -0.3

and Not 2, 3, or.93

Low Qts for horns

try -fostex ff125k-

Without knowing what your goals are, it's tough to say whether the Qts is a problem or not. Yes, it's a problem if you're trying to accomplish the typical goals of horns, since you'll get very little bandwidth out of it - the mass rolloff is too low.

I've been playing around with conical front horns/waveguides recently. I did in fact slap a B3N on one, and it 'worked' in that it made sound, but it tailed off pretty quickly. Another driver I tried though was the new Dayton RS52 dome midrange. On a conical horn with a mouth of about 16x16" and a throat just big enough fit the dome (ie no compression ratio or front chamber) it performed remarkably well. Ran reasonably flat from ~400 up do ~2k or so, then it shelved down about 6db and was good out to about 4kHz. So, if 400-4k is enough bandwidth, a single shelving eq stage might make this viable (although I don't know how loud it will play at the lower end). Sounded pretty decent even without eq.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.