BBMJ 385 project (hemp acoustics) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2006, 01:47 AM   #1
theNoid is offline theNoid  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to theNoid
Default BBMJ 385 project (hemp acoustics)

Ok, so this project is being built around the Hemp Acoustics FR8.0DIYHQ drivers. The "Big Bad Mama Jama" 385 speakers get their moniker from their shear size and the 385 is simply from a driver center height at 38" with a 1" offset putting it at 5" from the nearest edge....385.

Mark and I have built these speakers with a minimum of cuts via using precut MDF shelving pieces from the local HD. They measure out at 48.75" tall, 12" wide, and 17.5" deep. With some bracing, drivers, port, raised floor, etc, I am guesstimating internal volume at about 4.25 cubes, and will end up being tuned in the 40-45Hz region somewhere before we are all done.

They have been and are currently running over at Mark's house for a good break-in period and in the morning we will begin to tweak with internal volume changes, port lengths, foams and such internally, etc, etc, etc. I will have a full report and webby with pics up on these bigguns in a week or so, so stay tuned...

Noidster

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th April 2006, 03:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hey these BBMJ's are sounding pretty good so far. At first they were a bit dry on the bass-side it seemed but once they began to break in good they definately improved. Mark and I are not necessarily what some would consider to be "audiophiles", but we are certainly happy with the progression of these drivers as they continue to play. We are currently running them on a JVC receiver and the room isn't the most acoustically friendly either so we must take that into consideration as well. My wife commented that they sound better than she had expected from the looks of them. She had mentioned they looked a bit like a cheap speaker from on old TV set I tore up...lol. I was sure to tell her though that there is a bit more to them than their looks.

I do have a local audio friend that we will be running them on his McIntosh MC225 and MC-240 amps to see what they are really capable of. Once we get that going here I will once again return, with a mo' betta' review from a couple of people...not just myself. The construction pics are currently being developed at Wally-World and I will get some pics of the finished product on here once we figure out what we are going to do as far as a finish goes. Once again I say...stay tuned!!!

Noidster
Old 8th April 2006, 03:43 PM   #3
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

Your wife?
Man, that's good to hear
Welcome back..

cheers,

AJ
Old 8th April 2006, 03:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AJinFLA
Your wife?
Man, that's good to hear
Welcome back..

cheers,

AJ
Hey thanks man, things are going better here than was to be expected. Thanks again for the kind words.

Chuck
Old 22nd April 2006, 10:59 PM   #5
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

What would you choose between the Hemp and Visaton B200 in an open baffle? And what other fullrange would you recomend in this price category (around 150Euro each) for operating in the same way...in an OB?
Old 23rd April 2006, 04:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well to be honest with you I have not yet done any OB configurations, using any speakers. If I have time before next Saturday, I will cut up a pair of OB panels and then we can get some different folks opinions of the hemps in an OB.

Also, I have yet to play with the Visatons, so I cannot give you an honest comparison. There wil be a person or two at the DIY event this Saturday at my house that should be able to jot down a few lines on their thoughts and such.

Noidster
Old 23rd April 2006, 08:18 PM   #7
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Thanks Nodster for reply...well I can't wait the DIY event feedback...

Hide this!Advertise here!