Pioneer 8" Full Range Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a couple of Pioneer 8" B20FU20-51FW yesterday. For those who have them.......do they need any "break-in" period? (Don't laugh, but I'm using them in an Acoustic Research 3-way rebuild.)

I'm used to using Dayton Classic drivers and they seem to start playing a little deeper after about a week or so, IMHO. But, the Daytons have a lower FS than the Pioneer 8", so the Daytons probably would play deeper anyway.

Thanks.

It seems all speakers require some sort of break in, no matter the cost.

Not sure how you're using them in the box, but if not for higher frequencies, it may make sense to get rid of the whizzer. I understand this has helped some speakers flush out detail a bit better.

I'm testing them as the low end of an 8"/6.5"/1" tweeter-- 3-way box.

It's an experiment. They were originally meant to be used as standalone full range w/ a piezo tweeter. But a friend sold me the AR sealed cabinets for $20 the day before my Pioneers got here. The cabinets, grills, and tweeters were in great shape. Nice binding posts and cabiet finish....but the mid and woofers had bad foam rot.

I'm using a 6.5" extended range driver to compensate for the inevitable x-over point change in using a different midrange than the stock one. The Pioneer seemed like a good experiment because I've read alot about it's good bass response and it's extended range will cover whatever the AR crossover needs. I've put a couple of resistors on the tweeters.

To my surprise, everything seems to be balancing out quite well. The clarity actually caught me off guard.

I might test out a Dayton Classic 8" from PE. (But the sealed box will probably be too large.) If the Pioneer will play a little deeper with some break-in, I'll leave it for a while.

I've been wondering about these Pioneers as candidates for phase plug modification. Anyone try this? Any thoughts about how this might smooth/extend their high end? I don't have terribly good hearing above 16khz, but some folk I listen with may have better, so I'd like to get it smoother up top and possibly extending beyond the 17khz barrier I've read attached to these.

Kensai

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.