Damping enclosure for FE206ESR recommended horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anybody have opinions or expirience damping the area directly behind the driver. My thought is using thin wool felt that would be mounted with .25 in thick foam rubber strips that have tape on both sides. I`ve got a roll of this foam that was designed to mount a cap to the bed of a pickup. It would be easy mount this tape behind the driver and then apply felt over it to damp secondary reflections from moving back thru the cone. I`m new at this, have no engineering background, and would appreciate any thoughts on this, as well as other suggestions. Ideally I want to use as little damping as possible, hoping to retain good dynamics. Thanks in advance.

I have`nt received any response to this question, and as a unexpirienced builder, was not sure if this was a stupid question, or if there was information on this that I was not aware of. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful. Thanks, Ray

Hi No Xo,

I am very interested in the construction process of your ES-R cabinets. Just one hour ago I received my ES-Rs and am highly impressed. These magnets are insane. They dwarf the FE108EZ that I use in my Buschhorns by a quite a margin. Subjectively by much more than 4 inch, which is the actual difference. On the topic of damping: in the Buschhorns I used some loosely rolled up sheepwool directly behind the driver only, nothing in the horn throat or mouth. I would say even a tiny amount of overdamping kills dynamics quickly. Let me know how you progress!

It's not a daft question at all, it's just that we don't always get chance to answer everything as quickly as we'd like. Damping is often a bit of a suck-it-and-see with horns, as what you like and what suits your room are very individual. Personally, I think it's worth a try. You won't loose anything by giving it a shot. If it needs more, stuff the CC with some Dacron or similar. Avoid anything in the line itself.

Regards
Scott

I wish. I was going to, but the financial situation took a bit of a hit (car & PC blew up, along with a few other things) so I had to pass. I was not a happy camper, I can assure you.

Which enclosure? Fostex back horn. It's got the length & volume it needs. Build from a nice birch ply (I like Finland myself), a few coats of wax & you're away. Incidentally, from the models I've run the regular 206 should be quite happy in that enclosure too. Either way, that would be my first choice. They look good too.

Thanks to both of you. What I`ve done so far is what I mentioned in my initial post, and we`ll see how that works. The construction is really coming along and the boxes should be complete next week,though I`ll veneer the exterior and probably use black stain in the mouth and on the back. These are going in my living ( listening room with my best tube stuff and front-end), so looking good is important to me, and I usually don`t install drivers till everything ig done. Thanks again, this is a great hobby.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.