Your opinions on my FE167E project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2006, 04:32 PM   #1
njin is offline njin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Your opinions on my FE167E project

Hi,

first, let me intoduce myself. I´m not that new in this forum. Registered quite a long time ago, haven´t made any posts yet... I´m a 22 year old guy from Karlsruhe, Germany and still doing my apprenticeship as a joiner, so working with wood e.g. building cabinets shouldn´t be a problem at all.

Reading many articles about fullrange speakers made me wanna have such a system as my first experience in building speakers.
My first choice is the Fostex FE 167 E, because I think it is a good compromise between dynamics and the ability to do upper frequencies quite well.
My plan is to put them in 24 litres BR and cross them with a sealed 12inch sub at about 80-90Hz. I´m going to use the Detonation DT80 active subwoofer module, with which has a highpass of first order to keep the low frequencies away from the satellites, what - at least I hope so - helps to increase the maximum SPL.

My favourite music is rock, but I also prefer electronic music such as trip hop and a bit black. But I also like jazz, blues or just acoustic music. As you see, my taste of music is widely spread, what makes choosing a good speaker system not that easy...

What are your experiences with the FE 167E ? You think I might get happy with my planned system or are there some alternatives?

It would make me happy if you could help me a bit.

thanks,
njin

PS: Please excuse my english. If you find mistakes, just go on reading and don't take notice...
Old 3rd April 2006, 06:37 PM   #2
weidok is offline weidok  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi I build a ML TL with the Fostex FE 167 E

http://geocities.com/rbrines1/Pages/...MkII/Main.html
Old 3rd April 2006, 07:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Njin,
I would second the advise to build the MTL design. I have built one of these design for Lowther drivers and found it to be very good. The MTL designs are based on sound science and will give you the best possible results for your first speakers. When you have these built and listened to your music for a month or so you will either be happy to keep them as they are or will have an idea of the weaknesses you would like to improve. I would stay away from subs untill you have some experience of how good single drivers are. You will not get huge bass but timing imaging and coherence will amaze you and will make you wonder why use multi driver systems with all the problems of integrating the drivers and crossovers.
Iain
Old 3rd April 2006, 07:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Njin,
This thread might be of interest:-
http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum...read.php?t=268
Iain
Old 3rd April 2006, 08:09 PM   #5
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

3rd the ML-TL idea...those drivers really aren't happy in BR or sealed alignments...
Old 3rd April 2006, 09:13 PM   #6
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

The FE167E is a drop-in replacement for the FE164 in Martin King's Project 2. AFAIK response should be very similar to that of Bob Brines' project.

As you read through the project's whitepaper, you will find a couple different arrangements that might appeal more visually. Check it out.
Old 4th April 2006, 01:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If I were you, I'd go with the 166E and build Ron's Austin BL horn. Supposed to be fantastic, no crossover or passive components. And if you have wood working experience, you shouldn't hesitate to try a horn.

Search over at the fullrangedriver.com forum. My guess would be that these would fair a bit better with rock and harder music, as they will limit the x-max a bit and are said to produce plentiful bass, though a sub will most likely be needed for the lower notes.

Enjoy!

Link to the forum:
http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=2
Old 4th April 2006, 08:00 PM   #8
weidok is offline weidok  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

just search for "ML TL Fostex FE 167 E " and read ..

I am playing with mine ML TL''s for more then a year now..
and no sub is needed..

Just try a class D amp or tube ....
then they sound wonderfull...
Old 4th April 2006, 08:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by weidok
just search for "ML TL Fostex FE 167 E " and read ..

I am playing with mine ML TL''s for more then a year now..
and no sub is needed..

Just try a class D amp or tube ....
then they sound wonderfull...
Hi

What music are you playing! I respect Bob Brines ML TL design, but I'm asking myself if it really is a good rock speaker, especially for listening loud evry now and then?!?

best, LC
Old 4th April 2006, 08:26 PM   #10
njin is offline njin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hey guys,

first of all, thanks for all your replies. As I see. Bob Brines' Ft1600 is one of the forum's favourites... I already read much about it, but I was not sure if I can trust this single driver to reproduce bass. I think you can undestand that feelings...

But do you think I might get happy with my kinds of music I usually listen to? Normally I use to listen to music quite loud... Is the Ft1600 able to reproduce especially rock music loud AND clean?

Hide this!Advertise here!