Considering a compromise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering a compromise. My ideal system would be an architectual project (built in horns or IB or combination of the two) but aside from the cost I am also probably not staying in this house more than a few more years so maybe I ought to just upgrade my existing boxes. I have described them here before (old JBLs with rotted 12" replaced by organ speakers and midranges deteriorating fast).

So my thought is to get a taste of fullrange single driver with a bit of compromise on the ends all using the existing boxes. The current driver compliment is one each of 12", 5" and 3" cones. Though my idea of a perfect fullrange is more along the lines of an 8" (I do like lots of impact) I think that I can get away with using the 5" hole for the fullrange given the smallish room that I listen in.

So the thought is to use a fullrange 5" like the Tang Band W4-656SB or WA-657S along with a nice Dayton 12". These would bolt right in place and I would plan to use the 12" as a sub by crossing over at about 200Hz. I would have liked to keep the entire vocal range on the fullrange driver but I think that running it that low would compromise dynamics.

Since the fullrange is good up to about 15KHz my 45 year old ears probably wouldn't even need a tweeter but I might go ahead and hook one up with a first order high pass at about 10KHz just to help with dispersion and some of the ultra sonic things that some other people can hear. ;).

Some of the details are sketchy right now but I think the best thing is to use a plate amp to drive the subs and hook the main amp into the fullrange (and optional tweeter) but I could do it in stages. Replace existing MR with the FR and use passive crossover to existing woofs, then add nicer woofs, and then add the plate amp. Or I could spring for the extra cash to get the plate amps right away to simplify mating the two drivers. In either case I plan to seal off a seperate compartment for the woof.

Any thoughts? Also I would rather that the FR driver be a bit more efficient than the TBs (87-90dB/w). Any suggestions for good high efficiency alternatives that are exactly 5" in diameter at the mounting plate (would rather not cut new holes or patch old ones)?

mike

Hi,

for more efficiency you want to consider the Fostex FE127e or better the FE126e. Both should work very well when crossed over at 200 Hz.

I have read several reports from people who had great results with these Fostex' and 10" or 12" high efficiency woofers (i.e. Eminence) coupled with passive xovers, but if you have no experience in xover-design, I think the plate amps with active xo will be the better solution.

best, LC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.