Veneering the JX92S GM MLTL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have almost finished building the cabinets for the JX92S GM MLTL, with the triangle cross-section. I am planning out my veneering and since this is my first attempt at it, I have a question. What is the best way to veneer this triangle shape? Should I veneer each side individually? Can I bend the veneer around the 1/8 or 1/4 inch rounded -over corners?

Just looking for a little guidance from someone who has tackled this problem before. Or anyone else.

Thanks

First post here (I've just been lurking whilst I plan my first full range DIY project)

I don't think you'll be able to veneer around a radius that small. An alternative might be to chamfer the corners, this would remove the sharp edge and give you a flat surface to veneer onto.

What method do you plan to use for attaching the veneer?

If you are going to use contact cement; those radii are probably too small.

If you are going to use the PVA (wood glue) and iron method; the 1/4" radius is very do-able. You can use water to steam around the bends...

Will these bends run perpendicular or parallel to the grain?

What type of wood veneer are you planning on?

Does the veneer have a paper backing?

;)

Will these bends run perpendicular or parallel to the grain?

Whatever gives me the best results. I would think parallel.

What type of wood veneer are you planning on?

I remember reading on this board that walnut is particularly flexible. Plus, I used to work in Kyrgyzstan helping to manage the last natural walnut forest in the world. So, it has a special place in my heart.

Does the veneer have a paper backing?
Whatever's clever.

Walnut should give a good result. The paper backed veneers can be easier to work with. They are usually pre-sanded, and as such, thinner. This will help with the tight radii. While having bends parallel to the grain bends easier... it also will encourage splitting... so you may have to experiement a bit... Either way, water and hot iron is the trick.

;)

If you want to go around a rounded corner make sure it is running parallel with the grain. Also you will need to use paper backed veneer because the veneer without paper backing is pretty thin and likes to crack. I would say get a test piece and try it out. I have done a 3/8 inch radius with good results and I was using contact cement. Good luck,

John

Same problem here - I'm waiting to figure out the finish before trying my next triangles. My thought was to veneer the flat sides and laminate a matching strip of wood to the corners, which can then be rounded and sanded to level with the veneer. Or go designer and make it a contrasting wood.

Let us know how it works out.

GM MLTL Phase 1 completed

So, I am officially a speaker builder. I have finished the construction on the MLTL and have them up and running. All that is left to do is decide on and execute a finish.

I will be brief because I know that a lot has been said about these drivers and this design already.

Sound: The drivers only have about 20 hours on them right now, so they are still breaking in. But, they are miles ahead of my last pair (Pinnacle Gold Tower something or other). I know know what is meant by "air." And, the voices are no longer "stuck" in the speakers, but present in my living room. Regarding the room, I am getting significant gain from my hardwood floors and having the speakers positioned against my bare walls. I am driving them with a 40 wpc tube amp and them seem, according to the amount I turn to volume nob, almost in line with the 94 sensitivity speakers they replaced. Anyway, I am looking forward to them being broken in and the sound improving, but the love affair has started already.

Construction: This was pure joy, but a challenge (power tools, what's not to like?). Choosing a triangle shape for my first build was probably not the best idea. But, I learned a ton. Getting the angles exactly correct was tough, even with my fancy table saw. And, the end of the cuts seemed to be less wide than the middle or beginning, but nothing significant. Had to use wood screws to hold them together, along with a ton of glue. Also sealed up the inside seems.

Blah, Blah, Blah. Can't want for the next experimentation. I was inspired by the finish and construction approach of the Magico Minis, so I think I am going to try something along those lines.

A huge thanks to all of you who helped me out with tips and direction. If any of you newbies are thinking about the GM MTLT triangle design I would be happy to offer any of the few tips I have gleaned.

Long live diy audio. Cheers to you all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.