old Sony R2R drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I pulled these drivers out of an old reel to reel. I've got them in very unscientific aperiodic enclosures that mimic those they came in. They sound nice, fairly smooth and extended for something free. They aren't creating any bass. I'm planning to do some rudimentary T/S measurements and maybe try a TL of some sort. (baby BIB?) If they just don't have that in 'em, I may try to combine them with some old Sansui woofers I have in an unusual 2 way. Has anybody seen these before? Are they worth the effort? I understand they won't be great hi-fi, but I'm just looking for a fun project.

Paul

Attachments

• sonyfront.jpg
    sonyfront.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 169
Hi Paul,
I think the limitation to getting bass out of these is the 3W limit;
I pulled a pair of oval drivers with Alnico magnets out of an old Sony R2R, they sound pretty good on an open baffle, but break up if pushed low, currently crossed over around 250Hz.

I think yours might make a good mid/high units with the Sansui woofers, (although the Sansuis might deserve something better, but you won't know unless you try them...)
Pete McK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.