supertweeter help...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey folks, i've been killing myself over this one. why? i have no idea, the last piece of the current speaker build puzzle. in brief, i'm putting together a system with a 12" Fostex bass driver up to about 200 hz, then a full ranger OB up the rest of the way, supertweeter on top. fullranger looks to be a 168E Sigma or Veravox 7x. could be something different down the road, but planning on rolling in the supertweeter somewhere around 10 hz, may go a bit lower once i start playing around. basically, similar to the Basszilla.

i've looked into ribbons and horns. some of those 'in the know' say horns, (dispersion, etc.) some say ribbons unless you get really good horn tweeters, (like the F900a or better).

i don't want to spend a ton, but i'm willing to do what i need to, to get the equivalent to the rest of the system. i've researched everything from LCY and Raven, to Aurum Cantus and Raal, to Fostex and Visiton, Hi-Vi, Fountek, etc.

at this point, i'd appreciate any thoughts you'd care to offer. my head is spinning. thanks!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Godzilla said:
Don't sweat it... just choose a quality tweeter and roll it in gently... a simple cap will do. Others will say cap n' coil... that's fine too.

What he said... if you are going to XO 10k or lower with the drivers mentioned you may well have to roll off the FR... if you don't want to do that, start with a cap you know is too small and add 0.1 uF until you have too much tweeterthen back off. A common trick with a more efficient tweeter is to just let it cross higher... ie if you think 10k is the target and you have a T that is 6 dB more efficient add a cap that sets the XO to 20k or so.

dave

thanks gents. i think i've just put too much thought into this one.

dave, i've had the thought of doing something along the lines of what you are talking about. i actually have a bunch of cap values sitting in my 'shopping cart' over at parts express.

thanks again, sometimes there are almost too many options.

I'm using Aurum Cantus G2SE (it is said to be a newer version of G2Si) ribbons crossed with simple first order 2uF Siemens MKV cap. That with Fostex FE 204 (an older version of FE 206E).

I must say this is excellent driver for real. If you are short on a budget buy these without hesitation. They sound so smooth and extended, vey detailed. I suppose Raven R2 might be a tiny bit better but haven't tried this one, yet. Will have a pair to compare in about 2 months. Have had Fostex FT 17H and they just suck. Alnico versions are suppose to be much better, and if I was to try I would start with T90A or higher models. Have heard FT 96H and it was good, but I think not as smooth as G2SE.

The only complaint to AC G2SE if any, is that sometimes I wish it could sound just a tiny bit sharper. It's just sometimes a tiny bit too silky and smooth. But at the price it's a killer and I got used to it and I love it.

Bartek

Hi oneSpeed,

Have you looked at the neo Fountek ribbons that John Kalinowski recommended?

I think the LCY 110 looks interesting as well, especially at a higher crossover point as you will need.

Their 93db efficiency should be a good match for the Veravox 7X.

Keep us posted of your outcome. For I am intersted in going this direction for an OB speaker when the time is right.

But as usual, my piggy bank if limited and I may have to go with vintage european full range drivers, like Siemens, Saba, Loewe Opta, and maybe a Supravox 215S without whizzer cone.

I am using a pair of Norelco 9762M drivers on a flat 40" x 48" open baffle, and am still enjoying the music.

Thanks

Norris Wilson

Norris

I did look into the Founteks, but after an email with him, he was mainly intending the high-end unit, which is quite pricey and would have very bad vertical dispersion.

The LCY does indeed look interesting and seem to make the most sense at this point. I am not sure the 93 db is accurate. The president of LCY sent me a third order crossover at 6k that puts the efficiency at 95. So, I'm curious about this. Perhaps a higher crossover point raises the efficiency a bit?

Best of luck with your project!

Dr. Odd, thank you as well for sharing. I considered the air motion transformers, but would really like more extension than what they offer. I understand they are very nice and I hope you truly enjoy them.

Cheers!

thanks for that, i appreciate the insight. looking at ribbons, i'm considering the LCY 110, AC G2 or the Raven R1. i've read good things about all of them, though have to admit to being most interested in the raven. however, a pretty pricey direction.

My friend used R1 and changed for R2. He says R2 is much more smooth and extended while R1 being sharp and sometimes agressive. While visiting me he said he liked my G2Se better than Raven R1. The system was diffrent but he knows my system well.

I personally wouldn't buy R1. Only R2.

Bartek

Hi one1speed,

After looking on the graph at e-speakers of the LCY 110 supreme. It looks very linear out to the end.
Have you received any additional information with an extended graph of the 110's frequency response and sensitivity?

Also, was the supplied crossover slope the same as in the K100, at 18db?

I see that at the top of the graph, it states that the efficiency is 93db.

I went to LCY's website, and did not find any additional information. But, it was a quick visist, and I could have over looked some links.

http://www.lcy.com.hk/

Good luck on the project, and please keep us informed of your outcome?

Norris

Norris

The graph supplied is third order and I'll post it below. It brings in the ribbon at 6khz, which is a bit low. Initially, I'm going to try a simple cap rolled in high to see what happens, and go from there.

Not sure if you noticed, but the K100 tweeter is now available alone as the 100K. He wanted me to try that, but it would take a couple months to get it from Solen, or so I was told. I didn't try through E-Speakers, but I'd guess about the same story. However, I like the fact the 110 can roll in a bit lower if needed.

I'll keep you posted, thanks for the interest.

Attachments

• lcy-110-crossover2.jpg
    lcy-110-crossover2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 218
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.