my current plan: charlize + jordans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i had originally planned to purchase some triangle titus 202's, but yeo at diyparadise mentioned not thinking much of the triangle's. he suggested to use jx92s's for a fullrange solution; i thought this might be too inneficient for his tripath based design, but he mentioned that because of the lack of crossover, it would do fine.

anyway, i'm trying to plan things out, and looking for suggestions. i'm glad to hear criticisms or suggestions for changes.

this is the basic audio chain plan:

PC > foobar/flac/kernal steraming > chaintech av710 44.1 bitperfect optical out > zhaolu (chinese) dac2 > charlize > jordans

the charlize will probably cost me $150 all said and done for a basic pod-style implimentation. i will get air-coil inductors. thoughts?

for the jordans i was thinking about the 8-liter sealed design on the jordan website. i was also thinking i would solder my speaker wire (home depot outdoor extension cord) directly to the terminals on the drivers, run it through the box, out a small hole in the back, to the amp, thus eliminating binding posts, another possible signal obstruction).

the speakers would sit on my desk, and most of the time i would be listening to them in my desk chair in near-field position, perhaps 3 feet away or so; the speakers would be near the rear wall and toed in.

well, that's the gist. suggestions? problems? i realize there are much cheaper drivers available such as fostex, but apparently they can't hold a candle to the jordans.

for about $550-$600 or less all told, it seems like an excellent and very simple implimentation. nothing very adventurous, just some highly regarded components in the most simple possible implimentation.

thoughts? suggestions? concerns?

how do the jordans really SOUND? i listen to lots of classical and jazz, but i also like to rock on occasion. i am not a bass-hound; indeed i'm a tad bass shy. i'd be listening for hours and hours everyday, much of that while studying and working. mostly i'm looking for musicality, soundstage, DETAIL, and accuracy. i tend to favor "analytical" speakers as opposed to "warm", but i don't mind something in between. i'm a music lover before an audio lover though.

i come from a headphone background, and would go that route except that i find headphones annoying while studying and after long use, especially without crossfeed.

Seems like a nice direction. The Jordans are supposed to be nice, really nice. I'm sure others with experience will chime in.

The one bug I saw was the extension cord. I've read that it works fairly well, but seems to me that it's not the best option here. First, you don't need or really want huge cable for the single drivers. Also, if you want finesse and detail, I'd try something a bit different.

If it were me on a budget, (and I've done this) I'd go with cat 5 cabling. Get some of the better stuff with the teflon insulation, still inexpensive. You only need one length of cable per side, split the internal strands, (4 twisted pairs) between solids and stripes. One for pos, on group of four for pos, the other for neg. Works well and to my ears, sounds much better than the larger stranded speaker cable out there. Also, the twisted pairs are twisted at different rates, so it has a shielding effect. Be SURE you don't mix the strands, otherwise, you're amp will not be happy.

Best of luck, keep us posted on the progress.

For nearfield, I see no problem with using a tripath.

Much has been written about the sound quality of Jordans. I really liked them when I heard a pair. In particular, I liked their dispersion characteristics -- they sounded good throughout the room. That's prolly a function of their relatively small size as well as the thin foil cone.

I personally don't get hung up too much on wiring issues. I like having binding posts, as long as they are high-quality, and I solder internal connections. Meh.

You could use the JX92s in an 8 litre ported cabinet, as given on the Jordan site, or in Jim Griffin's ported 7.4L cabinet. That would get you extension to 55Hz or so and may be enough without a sub. There as BSC arrangements on the Jordan site to allow you to balance out the bass, if needed.

Both Jordan drivers are very quick and detailed. The JXR6 won't go much below 100Hz, so needs bass support. Deanbob has done some good work on using them nearfield with a sub. I've been using them in a normal, medium-field set up and although they sound light on their own, I tend to forget it with the right programme material.

FWIW, I don't think either of the Jordans are particularly suited to rock or bass-heavy electronic music. Not really what they were designed for.

BTW, I've done exactly as uzziah suggested with the JXR6s and run cat5 wire directly out from a sealed hole in the back of the enclosures.

In my case, this was because the boxes are ceramic and I didn't rate my chances of drilling two holes without a catastrophe happening. It's ok but I can see it becoming a nuisance at some point in the future. My purist instincts are beginning to give way to wanting a practical life.

If you follow this route, it's worth trying to get hold of so-called 'deployable' cat5, which has a much more flexible outer jacket than the regular stuff.

I have a Tripath TA-2020 amp with a pair of Jordan TL's (konus essence design). I listen to jazz, classical, vocals, pop and occasionally rock. Today I listened to my old Dire Straits vinyl records (Dire Straits, Communique, Making movies and Love over gold). Home alone, volume on a nice level, just great.

From what I read in your post I expect you'll love the Jordan/Tripath setup. As long as you don't expect a thundering bass and as long as you don't push them too hard the Jordans poduce a nice detailed sound. They do produce a nice bass, though. The TL's are placed 90 cm from the rear wall. I don't need the extra bass which would result from placing the TL's near the wall.

Hi Uzziah,

I’m sure you’ll like that combination. I have a Charlize powering the JX92S drivers and they work just fine.. It plays much louder than I need; however I don’t really listen above 90 db, which is pretty loud. I went with a variation of the 8 liter bass reflex on Jordan’s website. Instead using MDF or wood etc, mine are stainless steel. And instead shaping them into a box, they are more cylindrical like the classic Jim Rogers JR-149.

Like you, I’m a purest and eschew binding posts. I use single strands of solid core cryogenically treated CAT 5. Just be sure that the CAT 5 is Plenum rated. If it is Plenum, the jacket will be stamped CMP and not CMR or CMG.

John.

Colin said:
You could use the JX92s in an 8 litre ported cabinet, as given on the Jordan site, or in Jim Griffin's ported 7.4L cabinet. That would get you extension to 55Hz or so and may be enough without a sub. There as BSC arrangements on the Jordan site to allow you to balance out the bass, if needed.
That's the path I would take for uzziah's application. Griffin's design was, after all, an award winner (and in fact won over many full-range skeptics, iirc).

i'll revive this since i've yet to build, but may start now. the ported designs seems excellent. i think that will be a nice route. for my first loudspeaker build, something as simple as a crossover-less fullrange in a small sealed box, with a small digital amp seems nice and simple.

i'm also thinking of just using my current emu0404 modified soundcard as my source. it's quite nice, especially after a few cheap mods and custom breakout cable. may look at external dacs in the future.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.