Small scale W3-871S project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just finished my first DIY project. The reason why I started this one, is that I live about 3 months in a year at hotels. I carry around laptop computer full of ripped cd´s and movies. Until now I have used quite basic active computer speakers that you can find anywhere (and they allways suck). Now I was fed up with those and made small speakers+amplifier set that is easy to carry around. The qoal was to get decent sound quality in small size with cheap components. You can see the result in attached picture.

Speakers: W3-871S in about 1.5 liter closed cabinet. Walls are 12 mm thick plywood. Simple BSC with 6.8 ohms resistor and 1.5 mH inductor.

Amplifier: TDA2030A in inverting configuration. No pre-amp stage, just potentiometer. 40 VA Transformer with 12-0-12 outputs.

I´m actually quite happy (and proud) with sound quality. Cons are obvious: No real bass, limited SPL and dynamic constraints. But in other ways this system sounds nice and clear and it is possible to relax and enjoy music without being distracted by errors in reproduction. Even tough there is no real bass these speakers sound quite punchy with rock music at low volume levels. I think highish Q-value makes the punchiness in kick region somewhere around 150 Hz to 300 Hz or so. This kind of makes up for lack of deep bass. Amplifier is practically dead silent without signal. You have to turn volume control all the way up and place your ear next to driver to hear slight hissing sound.

Attachments

• travelset.jpg
    travelset.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 482
I bet it didn't turn your wallet inside out either.
Nice and simple!
Since I toyed with a mobile mini set-up (just amp and monitors to be used with laptop or iPod etc.) myself would anyone suggest an even better ultra-portable DIY system?
As a suggestion: Sonic T-amp integrated in BR Fostex FE83E's?
Gainclone in Tangband W3-315? (the nice mini TL enclosure I mean; does anyone have the plan for that one?)
So the question to you all: the best micro-audiophile setup. What should it consist of, how should it be built?

DocL

Exactly!

Can you give a description of the speakers (preferably with plans) and the strenghts and weaknesses of this system? How do they sound and/or compare to other systems or set-ups?
Any other portable micro set-up out there?
Congress hotels will be more bearable with these puppies in your suitcase.

DocL

Very nice set Ralph. Fine finish.

So the question to you all: the best micro-audiophile setup. What should it consist of, how should it be built?

Well, maybe Jordan JXR6 HD would be ultimate driver for mini full range speaker at the moment. I think it would work as straight replacement for W3-871S in my enclosures and it would nice to hear it for comparison.

How small should micro setup be? At size of my speakers there hardly is other options than closed or BR enclosure. That mini TL is twice as big.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.