CCS FR125S Options for a wall mounted design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Having lurked around the fullrange forum for the last few months I've become enamoured with the idea of building my own DIY speakers, I've diy'ed just about everything else in my system (amp, dac, phono stage), using a fullrange driver. I'm looking to base my project around the CCS FR125S which seems be highly regarded and is easily available in the UK. I know there are plenty of excellent cabinet /box designs out there for this driver i.e Planet-10's MiniOnken and bipole/dipole designs.

However I'm moving house shortly and my partner has finally relented to letting me have the hifi in the lounge, therefore I'm looking for a speaker design which could be wall mounted and realtively unobtrusive. I've seen designs such as the Cornu-Spiral clones, UniQorn clones and open baffle. However I was wondering if any of the more experienced forum members could offer advice on designs to consider and the suitability of the FR125S to such an application? Or am I onto a loser here?

Regards,
Ewan

P.S Apologies for the length of the post.

Bas,

By experienced foum members I wasn't meaning to exclude anyone from offering advice/comments on the project I was merely attempting to highlight my lack of knowledge/inexperience in this area. So please by all means pass on any advice/comments you have, I'd be grateful for any input.

Regards,
Ewan

Just some nasty kidding by me. Sorry :)

Ewan,
Have you seen these?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=873737#post873737

But my question to you would be...how big is your room. Basically anything in a 7-13liter box would do for the FR125 and could just be a "normal box" and hung on the wall.

The thing to watch with these little high-end drivers. (That is what they sound like to me) is that your room is not big . And that listening to them off-axis make it sound as if the high frequency just dissapears. So maybe have them facing a little inward. (Something that is easy to do if they are on speakers stands but harder when hanging them on a wall)

Bas,

No offence taken :D. The room I'll be using is approx. 4m x 4m, if the estate agents measurements are to be believed ;), which I assume should not be too big for these drivers?

I had spotted those MiniOnkens, but not the rear speakers. It's got me thinking I might be able to take a standard sealed box design and modify it to be slightly flatter and so be more flush with wall.

Thanks for the comments, it's got me thinking in a new direction!

Ewan

MCH,

Thanks for the suggestion, Bas had already pointed out your enclosures. They look really nice, and have given me the idea of looking at a 7-13L sealed enclosure, possibly something more flush with the wall. How do they sound by the way?

Cal,

Unfortunatley I can't cut holes into the wall, or I'll put that another way my partner won't let me ;).

Regards,
Ewan

As for the sound. They do not have as much bass as the mains in the miniOnken design. But I have the subwoofer to do that part. As for the sound in surround they work well.
With this style of fullrange (smaller cabinets) I would not do go without a subwoofer. A good subwoofer just adds so much more richness to the sound.

PS Sorry I didn't realize the other post directed to my build.

Thanks for the responses/comments so far.

Just as a completely different train of thought from sealed/vented boxes for the FR125's, how would open baffles perform mounted on the wall rather than the more traditional placement on the floor?

To me they would seem to offer the advantages of a) fairly simple/idiot proof to construct and b) realatively flat/unobtrusive.

Regards,
Ewan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.