CCS FR125S Options for a wall mounted design? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2006, 10:16 AM   #1
BL21DE3 is offline BL21DE3  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Question CCS FR125S Options for a wall mounted design?

Hi,

Having lurked around the fullrange forum for the last few months I've become enamoured with the idea of building my own DIY speakers, I've diy'ed just about everything else in my system (amp, dac, phono stage), using a fullrange driver. I'm looking to base my project around the CCS FR125S which seems be highly regarded and is easily available in the UK. I know there are plenty of excellent cabinet /box designs out there for this driver i.e Planet-10's MiniOnken and bipole/dipole designs.

However I'm moving house shortly and my partner has finally relented to letting me have the hifi in the lounge, therefore I'm looking for a speaker design which could be wall mounted and realtively unobtrusive. I've seen designs such as the Cornu-Spiral clones, UniQorn clones and open baffle. However I was wondering if any of the more experienced forum members could offer advice on designs to consider and the suitability of the FR125S to such an application? Or am I onto a loser here?

Regards,
Ewan

P.S Apologies for the length of the post.
Old 23rd March 2006, 11:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was wondering if any of the more experienced forum members could offer advice on designs to consider
Ah bummer...I just wanted to post some advice.
Old 23rd March 2006, 12:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Bas,

By experienced foum members I wasn't meaning to exclude anyone from offering advice/comments on the project I was merely attempting to highlight my lack of knowledge/inexperience in this area. So please by all means pass on any advice/comments you have, I'd be grateful for any input.

Regards,
Ewan
Old 23rd March 2006, 12:40 PM   #4

Just some nasty kidding by me. Sorry

Ewan,
Have you seen these?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...737#post873737

But my question to you would be...how big is your room. Basically anything in a 7-13liter box would do for the FR125 and could just be a "normal box" and hung on the wall.

The thing to watch with these little high-end drivers. (That is what they sound like to me) is that your room is not big . And that listening to them off-axis make it sound as if the high frequency just dissapears. So maybe have them facing a little inward. (Something that is easy to do if they are on speakers stands but harder when hanging them on a wall)
Old 23rd March 2006, 12:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Bas,

No offence taken . The room I'll be using is approx. 4m x 4m, if the estate agents measurements are to be believed , which I assume should not be too big for these drivers?

I had spotted those MiniOnkens, but not the rear speakers. It's got me thinking I might be able to take a standard sealed box design and modify it to be slightly flatter and so be more flush with wall.

Thanks for the comments, it's got me thinking in a new direction!

Ewan
Old 23rd March 2006, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
which I assume should not be too big for these drivers?
Yes..thats not too big so it should be fine.

Quote:
It's got me thinking I might be able to take a standard sealed box design and modify it to be slightly flatter and so be more flush with wall.
Should work fine.
Old 23rd March 2006, 02:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Bas,

Thanks for the reply, time to break out the box design/calculation software and see what I can come up with .

Regards,
Ewan
Old 23rd March 2006, 03:06 PM   #8
MCH is offline MCH
diyAudio Member

Here are the ones I did for wall mount. They are 7liter. They can be painted to match wall colour.

Wall mounted FR125's
Old 23rd March 2006, 03:14 PM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Ewan,

Are you allowed to cut holes in the wall and use it for a cabinet? Then your cabinet outside the wall can be much smaller.
Old 23rd March 2006, 07:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

MCH,

Thanks for the suggestion, Bas had already pointed out your enclosures. They look really nice, and have given me the idea of looking at a 7-13L sealed enclosure, possibly something more flush with the wall. How do they sound by the way?

Cal,

Unfortunatley I can't cut holes into the wall, or I'll put that another way my partner won't let me .

Regards,
Ewan

Hide this!Advertise here!