Fostex FE126E questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First I'd like to say that this website is addictive! I've spent a considerable (read: way too much) amount of time reading your posts. I am very impressed with the knowledge, designs, craftsmanship and the willingness to share knowledge by everyone here.

That said, I'm still researching for my first project. I was originally going to start with the Tang Band w3-871s for a Cyburgs-Needle project (which I'll probably get anyway) but now I'm also considering the Fostex FE126E. I get the impression that the 126e will meet my needs a bit better.

I started in home audio with an interest in setting up a small home theater system in my living room. But I quickly realized that I'm listening to music a lot more than watching movies. I've tried bookshelf speakers by Athena, Polk, JBL & NHT but always felt like something was missing.

So what I'd like to build is a pair of speakers that will fill my 12x12 (NYC) living room , without overpowering it. I have neighbors to my left , right and above me. I'm looking for good balance with clarity and tight bass. As far as bass is conserned I like quality over quantity. I have a subwoofer for filling in the lower frequencies when I want to feel the lower Hz. I have a Pioneer VSX-D811S home theater receiver (100watts x 5). Currently I'm using JBL E20 bookshelf speakers. I know they aren't much but they sound pretty nice to me.

As I said before, I'm considering the Fostex FE126E in the recommended Fostex bass reflex enclosure. Later as my carpentry skills improve I'll try building the BLH design. Do you feel that these are a better start than the w3-871s? Will they fill my room? I know it's hard to answer but will there be a big improvement over the JBL's? Thanks.

If you`re building BR enclosures, I would recommend the FE127e as more siutable. I`ve built both the basic BR box and the double BR (both fostex plans) and use them in HT systems. The double BR enclosure sounds very clean with surprising bass when placed in a corner. You might also look at the FE167e fostex enclosure with the built in stand/port, which would suit a HT system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.