Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2006, 04:59 AM   #11
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

I paid $2K+ for my pair.
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:21 AM   #12
fred76 is offline fred76  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Hi BTW,

So you just tap the dual-voice coils together w/out using the "passive network"... If you can get to measure the T/S maybe it could work better basswise in another type of enclosure (eg, ml-tqwp, backhorn, etc.)

Hope you can post close up pics of the drivers.. both front and back. Thanks.

fred
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:51 AM   #13
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fred76
Hi BTW,

So you just tap the dual-voice coils together w/out using the "passive network"... If you can get to measure the T/S maybe it could work better basswise in another type of enclosure (eg, ml-tqwp, backhorn, etc.)

Hope you can post close up pics of the drivers.. both front and back. Thanks.

fred
Actually, one of the main reason I decided to give the Exact Drivers a try was they were not designed for BLH.. I'm not very fond of BLH spks.

Here's a back view showing the dual voice coils... it was then wired in parallel ie 4 ohms

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a front closeup of the driver.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd March 2006, 05:16 PM   #14
fred76 is offline fred76  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Thanx for the driver pics... If blh is not ur thing, a pipe or ml-tqwp may be another alternative to mess around with if tuning for 'ballsier' bass.

Anyways, you're lucky to have access to high quality plywood there.
Old 22nd March 2006, 08:27 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

very interesting... looks good keep up the work
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:06 PM   #16
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fred76
Thanx for the driver pics... If blh is not ur thing, a pipe or ml-tqwp may be another alternative to mess around with if tuning for 'ballsier' bass.

Anyways, you're lucky to have access to high quality plywood there.
The box is made from "marine plywood" and yes the quality of the marine plywood is very good and reasonbly priced as well.
Old 23rd March 2006, 04:32 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Now how come all drivers don't have those knurled knobs for hooking up the wires? Although the ones in the picture are probably higher quality than practical, it shouldn't add too much to the cost.
Old 23rd March 2006, 11:27 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Beautiful ! You've done a great job. Although you obviously have to recall from memory, how do you compare the sound in these cabinets to the sound when you had them in front horns?

By the way, not too long ago on a local auction I picked up a pair of ancient "damped labyrinth" (which may perhaps be thought of as a variant of the transmission line or TQWT type) enclosures that Mr. Sano designed for his 16cm drivers back in the late 1970s. But I don't have my 16cm drivers yet! As usual, everything is running behind schedule at the Sano residence. (I swear, he should be a software developer, he is so good at missing deadlines. "Deadlines? Love 'em! They make the neatest sound as they go whooshing by!") Anyway, I should have my 16cm drivers Real Soon Now, which I hope means during the first half of 2006. When I do eventually get the drivers, it will be interesting to hear how they sound in these old enclosures. The price was right so I figured it was worth taking a gamble.

And finally, there is a pair of old Exact 16cm drivers (single voice coils) up for sale on the local Japanese Yahoo! auction right now. Not as nice as yours, but interesting:

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m29224365

With three days left, the price stands at 25,500 yen for the pair. (About US$200.) This auction is set up in such a way that last-minute sniping can be effective, so I expect the price to shoot up in the final seconds. Mr. Sano could easily rebuild these into something mechanically comparable to one of his current fullranges.
Old 23rd March 2006, 01:26 PM   #19
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdwitmer
Beautiful ! You've done a great job. Although you obviously have to recall from memory, how do you compare the sound in these cabinets to the sound when you had them in front horns?

Hi Chris,

Thanks, good to hear from you... That's a very interesting question ...... The Exact sounded really excellent on the Azura front horns, front loading the Exacts really gave a very huge soundstage and a sweet sounding tone as well.... Mr Sano should seriously look into making drivers for front horn as well.....
In the Exact box the soundstage is much smaller than the front horn, unfortuantely the Exact spks are still at my friend's place. The Exact are currently placed away from the walls , so it's not positioned like Mr Sano's recommendations. I'll bring them back next week and set them up in my room as per Sano's recommendation, we'll see......
Old 23rd March 2006, 06:57 PM   #20
bappe is offline bappe  Sweden
diyAudio Member

HIi!

Nice ti see that you have them up and running! (thanx for the e-mail). The cabinets look very nice indeed. I will be in Singapore with some spare time on the 14th of May, maybe we could get together and listen to them? I don't have my mu:exacta drivers yet but it should not be to far now.......The drivers I'm getting will fit very nicely into a good front horn, even if that is not the exact way I'll be using them.

BR,
Anders

Hide this!Advertise here!