Jordan MLTL Enclosure Sealing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello:

I am in the middle of building the cabinets for the GM MLTL 48", triangle cross-section. Have the boxes together without the tops or bottoms on yet. I have used 3/4" Birch plywood.

As this is my first build, and I have the enclosures still open at this point, is there anything I should do to treat the inside of the cabinets that would help acoustically. Paint? Some sort of resin? Anything? Just leave the bare wood alone?

Looking for some experienced opinions.

cheers

You could try running a thin bead of sealant or wood glue up the inside joins, just as belt and braces approach to sealing where the walls meet. Painting or otherwise sealing the inside surfaces won't make any difference.

Don't overstuff the top section (from just below the driver to the top) - I found with mine that lightly filling this section worked well. (Although you can adjust to suit.)

Look forward to hearing your impressions (and seeing any pics).

Yes I have built them - I assembled mine about a year ago, meaning to finish them off and haven't felt inclined to take them apart and veneer yet. The cabinets are a bit rough so I may have another go. Here's a pic, with their smaller siblings, the new JXR6.

Attachments

• ceramic-06.jpg
    ceramic-06.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 334
The effect is slightly less with the Jordan drivers, as they are quite directional from 2kHz up. The felt idea is a good one, though. Another option is to make a ring of 4mm ply or mdf and place round the driver, rounding off the outer edge.

BTW, I recommend devising a cover or some form of protection for the drivers when the system is up and running. People love to poke their fingers at them - they exert an attraction second only to LCD computer screens - and the cones are very fragile.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.