Digital amps and single driver speakers, opinions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got you all beat! I built a UCD 400 for a customer, and tried it on his lowther backhorns. (EX3 I think) and it was: amazing. I was expecting noise (high power high gain high sensitivty) but there was nothing severe, the noise seemed to all be from the preamp.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend fullrangers and class D accordingly.

The universal praise for this combination is almost scary:eek: Could this be one of audio's perfect marriages?

I think I will raid my piggy bank and get a Super-T to start and go from there. I love the idea of building something, however, athough, even though I can solder wires together, I know next to nothing about electronics.

My amp is now disconnected. The entire Aux panel is dead and the right channel volume is slow to ramp up when first turned on. I'm now using a Yamaha chip amp pulled from one of our computer speaker setups.

Godzilla: Did the wood crack or a joint? If it's the wood itself, I would worry less as there was probably an unseen defect or compression in the piece. These things happen.

Doug

Dear Doug:
But that still raises the question of whether single drivers with rising responses would sound too bright, even if it is in fact more accurate, and what steps might be taken, if any, to account for it.

That's why I choose this big enclosure: front horn rises midrange and midbass response and back horn does it to the LF reponse of FE206E, (and Audio Nirvana Super8, BTW) complimenting the driver's rising response at >1Khz. Ample, coherent and robust sound. :cool:
Corner placement for even better LF (and a fast one)
All this looking at the chart only. :angel:

Hi Trebla:
I have Tripath 2020 and full range speakers (Audio Nirvanas 8inch). This is the best combination i have found so far, and ironically the cheapest.

Have you compared Audio Nirvana's 8inch (super8?) to Fostex drivers??? I have asked this before but noone answered :(

Thanks and good luck!
M

Ah yes! The piece probably came from too close to the heart. Not only is that wood more likely to cup, there are always a lot of weird stresses built up near the heart. Had you managed to screw it down without breaking, it still might have cracked at the first sign of moisture change. I would chalk that one up to "one of those things that happen."

Doug

Too true, unfortunately.

As as aside, I mentioned earlier that I disconnected the failing amp today. Well, the amp I replaced it with sounds a whole lot better, and it's an extremely cheap Yamaha computer speaker chip amp that's at least ten years old. I couldn't believe it. It appears my Integra was really gettting bad but I was so used to it I didn't realize. The channel separation was all screwed up.

I can't wait to get a decent amp on my 108's, but then I'll have to redo the line damping again because it's all wrong now.

Doug

Anybody local want an Integra A-8087 project amp? Lot of good parts in it. I understand it has a killer phono stage that I have never used.

I recently combined my Buschhorn Mk2s using Fostex FE108EZ drivers with a completely stock, fresh out of the box, battery-driven Sonic T-Amp and must say I was pretty impressed. Normally I drive the fullrangers with either the Gainclone (non-snubberized, 300VA PSU, short pathway etcetera) or the DoZ from Rod Elliott (1.4 A bias 30Volts nice caps/components, 500VA PSU etcetera) and it is amazing how big the sound is from a mini amp fed by a few penlights. It can easily drive the FE108EZ to loud volumes. Have not burned the T-amp in (if this ritual works at all of course...) yet but am already impressed.
The DoZ is the most fluid, the GC has the biggest slam, but the T-amp seems to even further enhance the Buschhorns midrange clarity and detail. I will leave this little miracle totally stock and will use it as a dedicated travelling amp. Can't wait however to finish my AMP6 to see what more is on the menu.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.