Advice wanted for newbie with fe206e - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2006, 07:08 PM   #1
wixy is offline wixy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Advice wanted for newbie with fe206e

Hello,

I have 2 fostex fe206e drivers on the way. Im a complete speaker building newbie but am attracted by the simplicity of a single driver speaker.

Could anyone advise of recommended easy to construct enclosures for the fe206e and where I can obtain plans? What type of enclosure produces what type of sound? I like a nice open and wide sound with tighter bass. Would the fostex recommended back loaded enclosure give this?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 15th March 2006, 08:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I reckon that the guy who made the whiskey knew how much water to put in it...

How about...

http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...ec_enc_1.shtml
Old 15th March 2006, 09:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The fostex enclosure appeals to me based on its apparent easiness to construct, however I know nothing of its sound and I am worried the driver sits too low below the hearing position.

The Dallas II I am more interested in, but I am wondering how easy is it to construct for a beginner?
Old 15th March 2006, 10:13 PM   #4
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

Martin King's Project 05 would be a great place to start:
http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project05/Project05.html

The compensation circuit, or at the very least 3 ohms series resistance, is necessary for this enclosure.

I'm not quite certain the Fostex design would be easier to build than Ron's design; getting all those boards laminated with each other can be a pain if you don't have lots of clamps.
Old 16th March 2006, 01:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

i read somewhere that that martin king design is not so suitable for the fe206e, but more suitable for the fe207e. looking at the plans on that site, it looks like a simple bass reflex enclosure?
Old 16th March 2006, 01:54 AM   #6
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wixy
i read somewhere that that martin king design is not so suitable for the fe206e, but more suitable for the fe207e. looking at the plans on that site, it looks like a simple bass reflex enclosure?
Well, look at the simulation results for both drivers. The results for FE206E include 3 ohms series resistance. If you were going to place the enclosures near the back wall, that's all you would need.

The enclosure is a mass-loaded transmission line. It's sort of a hybrid between a classical transmission line ("pipe") and bass-reflex.

The point is, you could make quick-n-dirty versions of these in an afternoon, before you tackled your backhorn project, and you could break in the drivers, etc.
Old 16th March 2006, 11:44 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:

The problem with using the 206 in a resonant cabinet is that the Qts is too low and you have to do something with the rising response. The former is handled with a wad of series resistance while the later requires some sort of filter to prevent ear bleed. It will work in Martin's cab or my cab, but why force it when the 207 works much better? Even the 207 is happier with a bit of series resistance, but it doesn't have the rising response, and only requires a BSC.

Use the 207 for resonant cabinets.

Quote:
looking at the plans on that site, it looks like a simple bass reflex enclosure?
No, Martins 206/207 project is a MLTL, a quarter-wave generator. You might read the theory section of Martin's site.

Bob
Old 16th March 2006, 01:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The Fostex horns are supposed to be pretty good, tough I don't personally find the 206 horn very attractive. They should still work in the FE206ES-R recomended enclosure though -I remember trying a few comparison simulations, and that one's prettier. Ditto the FE208ESigma. Martin's or Bob's MLTLs will work, as noted above, though you can also handle the rising response by listening off-axis. 30 degrees, give or take should do it, though of course that has its own issues.

Best
Scott
Old 16th March 2006, 04:34 PM   #9
no xo is offline no xo  United States
diyAudio Member

I`ve tried the FE206e in in BR and BLH enclosures and agree this driver needs a horn to sound balanced. After finishing the cabinets with red oak veneer and ebony stain in the horn mouth, I`m very pleased with the way the Fostex recommended BLH looks in my living room. I`ll try to get some pictures posted.
Old 16th March 2006, 07:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I will probably just build the fostex blh as it seems relatively easy. would appreciate those pictures no xo. However the dallas II still appeals to me the strongest, its just that it looks very difficult to construct!

Hide this!Advertise here!