Finalizing FR125 configuration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I saw that some people have considerable experience with these drivers here, so I decided to pop in. I have searched the forums and read most of the FR related threads here.

I have my MDF cut for a pair of 7L FR boxes. The intent is to use them as computer speakers. As such, they will be no more than 1 foot away from the wall, and will be ~3 feet from my head. In the future I plan to build a subwoofer for them, possibly based on the new Mpyre 6.5" XBL2 sub for compactness while retaining low bass.

My options are:

Sealed
Front port
Rear port

As I understand it, BSC for direct/near field is not neccessary, correct? Also, since these will be close to a wall, is rear porting is not a very good idea? If I were to front port them for some semblance of bass until I build the sub, could they be left ported while doing a highpass around 80Hz with no sonic degradation, or would it be better to plug the port? As for stuffing the box, is Acoustastuf adequate in a vented/sealed box, or is wall mounted damping material a better choice?

Thanks.

I would opt for sealed, 7 Litre is IMO to small for BR.

The 7L CB will deliver a much cleaner bass, and when positioned close to a wall and on the computer table it should be also enought in the nearfield.

I'm running them in 12L BR - close to the wall the ports need to be damped almost to the point where they are stuffed totally other wise the bass peak really sucks - even without the BSC in place.

hope that helps
LC

I have a pair in 7L sealed boxes, wired to my computer mounted on my desk close to 1ft from the back wall.

Mid-bass to top end is very nice and smooth. Great sound and wonderful imaging. I have them powered by a Onkyo sr603 for now, and am quite impressed with my initial listning. They do not produce much bass by any means, but for near-field listning they do quite well. I do plan on adding a sub in the future, but for now am quite happy.

Here's a quick and dirty simulation of that AE SL-10 in a 25 liter sealed box 17"x17"x6" deep. This should fit right behind my 19" LCD facing the wall for a ~6dB/oct +3dB@30Hz room gain. I'll cross it at 75 Hz so the FR125 won't have to reach too low.

Attachments

• ae sl-10 25l sealed.jpg
    ae sl-10 25l sealed.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 861
You might also want to consider the spiral horn design if you want to go with single driver FR125S, especially now that it had gained some official approval from the people at RAWfest, of sorts :)

I have a pair for my computer speakers and they work VERY well. Nicely behaved and clean bass.

I'm in the same situation as the OP, but I don't have in mind to add a subwoofer in the future. I'll probably be driving the speakers with a SI T-amp or a gainclone. I'm listening mainly to electronica, hiphop and Jazz. I've also read all the threads related to those speakers, a lot of talking is done on the bipolar configuration but not much as nearfield. I'm a complete newbie, I don't think I'm able to design a box by myself.

There seems to be contradicted comments about the amount of bass they produce in a sealed box, I understand not everybody as the same hearing and taste in the bass department.

Is SB the best idea for me or a plugged BR?

Any help would be appreciated
thank you

I'm soon going to experiment with these in sealed, aperiodic and vented enclosures. I basically know the possible options for sealed and vented designs, but I have no clear idea about how one should build the aperiodic. I'm thinking of trying the ScanSpeak Variovent, and also vented designs with the vent stuffed with foam plastic or something, but the problem is the appropriate size for the aperiodic enclosure. Do they behave more like sealed or vented?

I recently added these for rear surrounds to match my front mains and center (also using the FR125S). They are sealed 7 liter. They seem to do the job quite well in this role.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And this my front setup using MiniOnken for the front mains. I have a subwoofer to augment the bass.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What do you get for F3 cut off in your 7L sealed enclosures?

I might go sealed too since the sub will be right behind my LCD panel and if I end up going a tad higher than 80Hz for the crossover, it shouldn't hurt the imaging much.

It sure would simplify the build process and box construction for all three enclosures.

Landroval said:
I'm soon going to experiment with these in sealed, aperiodic and vented enclosures. I basically know the possible options for sealed and vented designs, but I have no clear idea about how one should build the aperiodic. I'm thinking of trying the ScanSpeak Variovent, and also vented designs with the vent stuffed with foam plastic or something, but the problem is the appropriate size for the aperiodic enclosure. Do they behave more like sealed or vented?
I used this design math: http://www.northcreekmusic.com/MAPD1.htm A pic of my build is on this forum. MJ King's new Mathcad sheets model aperiodic as well.

Somehow I remember we have been around this topic a few times before :) How would you describe the difference between the round vent and the long skinny vent?

I'm going to try the Scan Speak vent first, and if it's bad, I might try to build a custom vent. The problem is I don't know what size the vent should be or how thick it should be. I'm not too eager to go trial and error with this.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Landroval said:
Somehow I remember we have been around this topic a few times before :) How would you describe the difference between the round vent and the long skinny vent?

It is a matter of practicality... round vents tend to bulge in the middle making then harder to tune.

And that a pre-built variovent doesn't give you tuning flexibility + it goes against my frugal-phile(tm) nature to actually pay money for one of these.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.