"Best" extended midrange driver below $200 ? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2006, 12:19 AM   #31
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

and interesting little thread on the subjective qualities of pleated ribbons over the reinforced ribbons (and other drivers):

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/dis...gi?read=374328
Old 17th March 2006, 12:50 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Interesting..

RAAL has a ribbon that is slightly thicker than others, but it isn't pleated nor is it reinforced with plastic like the NEO fountek drivers. The mass however is similar to the pleated variety (i.e. damn low).

The CSD is quite nice - down to -25 db on average.

http://www.raalribbon.com/products_flatfoil_70-10.htm

They also have an even larger driver that appears to have "side-steped" some of the vertical dispersion problem while retaining a lower usable freq. response.

If I had cash to blow - I'd spend it on a pair of those larger drivers..

(they are at Solen as well)
Old 17th March 2006, 01:33 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Scott

Thanks much. As we're on this subject, I sent an email off to LCY last night before I left work asking a couple questions regarding efficiency, etc. LAU Chiu-Yin, the president, sent a great response with several graphs and a crossover he designed just for my system. I thought this was pretty amazing!

I'll check into your links, thanks for taking the time...
Old 17th March 2006, 04:05 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to youyoung21147
Thanks a lot Joensd for the graphs !

It looks like the Veravox 5S should be cut off earlier than 10kHz looking at the graphs. 6kHz should be OK.
On the Cantare-as website, they show as a thumbnail the page of Hobby Hifi where the Veravox 5S is tested. Though the frequency response is far from being linear (though not as uneven as the FE168EZ's), it seems that there is no cone resonnance before 9kHz, which is a good point.

I hope the bass response is not as awful as the graphs suggest it. I hope they didn't use a wide baffle and that the series 220F cap reduces bass extension.

Quote:
Would you mind explaining this to me? What do you mean by "CSD?" I'm looking at ribbons or horn supertweeters myself.
As ScottG explained it before me, this graph is one of the most interesting because it shows how fast a driver stops to emit sound when signal is stopped. If it stops fast, the details that come after aren't "covered" by the resonnances of the cone and can therefore be fully heard.
It's like when your are speaking in a hall : the echo makes what you say less understandable for others because they hear what you said before at the same time.

Quote:
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/di...cgi?read=374328

Interesting ! I think it has detered me from buying the Neo CD2.0

Quote:
http://www.raalribbon.com/products_flatfoil_70-10.htm
Nice, very nice, beautiful but... Too expensive !

Going back to the Veravox 5S, I've seen a document that doesn't show the same bass response as Hobby Hifi's graphs.

What do you think about this ?

http://www.picosound.de/BerichtForumstreffenPico.pdf

It is at page 11, black curve.
Old 17th March 2006, 05:25 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by youyoung21147

Going back to the Veravox 5S, I've seen a document that doesn't show the same bass response as Hobby Hifi's graphs.

What do you think about this ?

http://www.picosound.de/BerichtForumstreffenPico.pdf

It is at page 11, black curve.
I believe that has been corrected with a shelving eq.. Additionally, that design provides baffle step compensation via rear horn loading (..and then shows the summation).

The nice thing is the driver's response has a wid-band predictable deviation that can be filtered. In a passive configuration (as shown) you are simply padding down the higher freq. response via a "shelving" circuit. In an active configuration you can either do the same OR elevate/boost the response (in the midrange) to achieve nominally the same eff. as it has originally (i.e. 95 db). In otherwords you can make an easy amplitude fix - particularly in an active configuration. It isn't something I would concern myself with unless I wanted both a passive design and a reference spl above 91 db (1watt/1meter).

I'd try to talk to member Andreas Guhde about the driver for more information.. If you can't "ping" him here then this is his website:

http://www.cantare-as.de/
Old 17th March 2006, 05:35 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by youyoung21147
Nice, very nice, beautiful but... Too expensive !
Remember that is in US for the international pricing.. Still I don't think you could go wrong with the G2Si as long as it has a steep highpass filter above 4 kHz.
Old 17th March 2006, 06:26 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd try to talk to member Andreas Guhde about the driver for more information.. If you can't "ping" him here then this is his website:
I sent a mail a few days ago to grab info about this driver, the Veravox 5X and the 7X but he didn't answer yet...
Old 17th March 2006, 06:36 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

youyoung

If you do a search on this forum for the Veravox 5x, you'll see a short thread I started. There are some gents there, including Andreas Guhde, who may be able to be of help.

Best of luck...
Old 18th March 2006, 11:36 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by one1speed
youyoung

If you do a search on this forum for the Veravox 5x, you'll see a short thread I started. There are some gents there, including Andreas Guhde, who may be able to be of help.

Best of luck...
I've searched for it and remember that I found it a week ago when googling.

Thanks for the information, I've just posted something there !

Cheers
Old 28th April 2006, 05:19 PM   #40
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I've read your thread about a good extended midrange driver, and I've wanted to ask you if you made up youre mind because i'm very intersted in this subject...

Regards,
Florin

Hide this!Advertise here!