Fostex "rated input" and "music power"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

I've been considering getting some fostex fe206e drivers to use in a rear loaded horn for my newly aquired Ming Da MC34-B amplifier. The amplifier has an output of 22w RMS per channel at 8 ohm.

I have just noticed that on the PDF spec files for the FE206e on madisound it has these 2 items:
Rated Input: 30W
Music Power: 90W

A) What do both of these items mean?
B) Will my amplifier be able to sufficiently power these speakers or should i opt for a different driver? If so, what kinda of specs should i look out for?

Thankyou

Hugz

The FE206E will blow you across the room with, oh, 1w or so. Look at the sensitivity figure. It produces 96db for 1w at 1m. That's loud. Very loud indeed. As in damage your hearing loud if listened to for extended periods. That drops off with increasing distance obviously, but power will not be a problem for you with 20w or so on tap. I don't know the MD amp, but I assume it's a valve job, right? Should have a nice low damping factor, which the FE206E will lap up.

Best
Scott

Hi,
your little 22W valve amp could produce musical peaks of about 109db @ 1m.

A pair in room and at 2m to 3m listening distance will also produce about 109db peak at the listening position.

This is loud!

Musically your horn should be just gliding along with low distortion where the horn is augmenting the front radiation.

Go for it.

Oh, and tell us the result.

hugz said:
Hi all.

I've been considering getting some fostex fe206e drivers to use in a rear loaded horn for my newly aquired Ming Da MC34-B amplifier. The amplifier has an output of 22w RMS per channel at 8 ohm.

Hugz

Hugs,

Let us know how you like your new amp. I have had one now for a couple of years and am extremely impressed with this particular amp. It responds well BTW to tube rolling and the power output can be increased substantially as well as the transparency by doing so. That iis the subject of other posts on this listserver.

AndrewT said:
Hi Rca,
what is BPL?

Broadband over Power Line. It is the stupidest idea to become widespread in use since suicide bombs. The power company is using it to make digital services like remote meter reading and ultimately internet access through the power wires to homes all over the globe a reality at the doom of being able to use the radio spectrum as we recently still could. The power lines act like one huge radiating antenna and blanket the earth with really nasty RF interference which extends from below the LW AM broadcast band up to VHF TV channels approaching 200 MHz.

Gone is the ability for a huge population of radio spectrum users for peace and quiet. Ham radio bands have been completely wiped out in many areas. I cannot enjoy quiet FM stereo reception at my rural home anymore, my AM radio is a cluster of repeating buzzing noise spectrum harmonics as I tune across the band and my TV has wide noise bands in the picture that look like HV power pole insulator leakage (like snow sparklies) but in a synchronously locked coherent pattern.

BPL is a totally unecessary and very BAD idea! :whazzat: :smash:

So there seems to be consensus.

However, can anybody answer the first part of the question, ie "What do both of these items mean?"

What is rated input and music power?

Also i'm glad to hear you like the amp rcavictim. Mine's brand new and I have no real speakers for it to go with, however I have heard of the advantages of tuberolling the ming da so I'll be sure to find some new tubes for it in the future

Rated input refers to maximum sustained power (using noise).

Music power refers to dynamics (the difference between loud ans soft).

In the Fostex example, more than 30W of continuous noise will fry the voice coil, but if playing music, it will take up to 90W of power for a very brief period of time without damage.

But all of this is more or less useful as music power does not discriminate for frequency content. It is very possible to damage the Fostex with 20 watts of 20Hz continuous tone.

Then again, if you factor in the efficiency of the driver, it's a non issue since playing music with 90w peaks in a typical room will get you deaf pretty quickly anyway!

robertG said:
Rated input refers to maximum sustained power (using noise).

Music power refers to dynamics (the difference between loud ans soft).

In the Fostex example, more than 30W of continuous noise will fry the voice coil, but if playing music, it will take up to 90W of power for a very brief period of time without damage.

But all of this is more or less useful as music power does not discriminate for frequency content. It is very possible to damage the Fostex with 20 watts of 20Hz continuous tone.

Then again, if you factor in the efficiency of the driver, it's a non issue since playing music with 90w peaks in a typical room will get you deaf pretty quickly anyway!

Ah that's the response I was waiting for. Thankyou very much!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.