Best Tang Band for first time project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://myhifisite.50megs.com/Godzilla/tb3.html

http://www.zillaspeak.com/Bamboo.asp

I think the 3” aluminum I used is the 315… I’d bet it’s similar to the 871 in sound.. maybe they are slightly different. The 4” sounds very much like the 3” IMO anyway.

TB’s are easy to work with and IMO are the easiest hi end speakers to build. Seal em up and play… tho you can port if you want a bit more bloom and a bassier sound.

Hey guys, I presently have some TB W3-871's. My intention is to use them for computer speakers. My original design involved a small tall box, 16" tall, 5.25" wide, (outer dimensions) and about 4.5 deep with the back made from half of a PVC pipe in a closed box. I believe it will work. However as I sit at the desk looking at the baffles laying on their sides with the speakers in them, I am struck by the notion that if the speaker were triangular like GM's MLTL-48 and you jammed it back against the wall you could use the top of the desk and the wall as extended baffles the way his speaker does. So how small can you go with the cabinet for this speaker, assuming a triangular shape? I am modeling w/MJK's ws but would like a comparison to see if I've done it right?

P.S. Search DIY TB (model #) for lots of plans and opinions on speakers.

If you happen to have a couple of Tangband W3-871 available, here is an excellent cabinet solution until you manage to complete some more fancy woodwork:
Tangband in a bottle
1,5 liter blastic bottle (thick-wall, re-usable quality) lightly stuffed with a wool sock. Assembled with duct tape. Un-corked for bass reflex. Remember to also add a notch-filter (eg. as used for the Cyburgs Needle).
Very good sound in a small room :)

Svein.

For a first project I would recommend the W3-871. Parts Express has them on sale for 13.50. There are plenty of designs for them online. You could experiment with different box designs and filters and see how each change effects the sound. Great way to learn with minimal investment. Excellent bang for the buck.

Hi -

I'm in the middle of my own first project using TB 1364SB "bamboo" 3" drivers as satellites in a folded tapered TL. So far the L/R/C are done, and - though I can't claim to have any serious audiophile credibility - I couldn't be happier. They even sound OK without a sub. WAF has been very high with these too.

One thing about the titanium version is that it has a smaller Vas, so you can jam it into a smaller cabinet if that's important.

Try your hand with MJK's TL spreadsheets, you'll impress your friends and enemies with how much bass you can get out of a 3" driver.

- Skov

skov said:
Hi -

I'm in the middle of my own first project using TB 1364SB "bamboo" 3" drivers as satellites in a folded tapered TL. So far the L/R/C are done, and - though I can't claim to have any serious audiophile credibility - I couldn't be happier. They even sound OK without a sub. WAF has been very high with these too.

One thing about the titanium version is that it has a smaller Vas, so you can jam it into a smaller cabinet if that's important.

Try your hand with MJK's TL spreadsheets, you'll impress your friends and enemies with how much bass you can get out of a 3" driver.

- Skov

That's great! Post some photos. I'd love to see them.

skov said:
Hi -

- Skov

I agree that you can get quite good bass out of them. Especially if they're against a wall.

type said:

That's great! Post some photos. I'd love to see them.

Oh, wow, thank you. I don't have much belief in my carpentry skills but I'll try to attach a photo of one of the finished satellite speakers. There is a tissue box next to it for scale, and behind it is the wall that soongsc mentioned. :) By design these cut off right around 90Hz for use with an HT receiver and sub.

I'm still battling the PE speaker mounts but will get this one up on the wall next. Epoxy can a wonderful thing.

WAF was also a factor in the design. My wife wanted white speakers for the white wall and threw up all over the idea of veneer. I used sanded white paint to cover the evidence of my bad woodworking.

Attachments

• bamboo 3 front.jpg
    bamboo 3 front.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 631
skov said:

Oh, wow, thank you. I don't have much belief in my carpentry skills but I'll try to attach a photo of one of the finished satellite speakers. There is a tissue box next to it for scale, and behind it is the wall that soongsc mentioned. :) By design these cut off right around 90Hz for use with an HT receiver and sub.

I'm still battling the PE speaker mounts but will get this one up on the wall next. Epoxy can a wonderful thing.

WAF was also a factor in the design. My wife wanted white speakers for the white wall and threw up all over the idea of veneer. I used sanded white paint to cover the evidence of my bad woodworking.

Another view:

Attachments

• bamboo 3 top.jpg
    bamboo 3 top.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 582
Those look great Skov. Nice work. I'm still researching. It's funny how the more you research the more choices you seem to end up with. lol.

I've currently narrowed it down to the following:

1. W3-871s - But I worry about their power handling. I have a 100watt pioneer receiver. Will this be too much for them?

2. The Tang Band w4-1052SA
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-828
This is a very interesting driver. Omega uses these in 2 of the speakers they sell:
The Mini Me single driver ($389)
http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/mini me.htm
and the Minuet dual drivers ($749)
http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/Minuet.htm

3. The Fostex FE126e or 127e.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.