best $500 system I've ever heard - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2006, 09:35 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by westend
I use the Panny XR-55 and FR125's for surrounds. For HT it works well. Playing DVD's in DTS mode, I don't know how it could get better. The Panny just delivers great, accurate power.
Have you made any mod's to your Panny? Do you use power conditioning?

I'm going to change the power cord because ... well it just bothers me I'm not sure that it will make any diff on an amp that has no reserve current capability but as I said, it bothers me. Such a chintzy cord.

I come from an IT background and my instincts tell me that power conditioning will likely pay off for on e of these amps. What do you think?
Old 14th March 2006, 04:29 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I was given a Toshiba 4 channel SB-404S, I love the way it can pull a guitar solo out from a 2 channel signal and feed it to the rear speakers. My front speakers are from a Rigonda valve (tube) stereogram, 8 from a boot sale. They're quite efficient, the Toshiba volume never needed to go above 2. Only info I've found on them is that they're 6 + 3 + 1 = 10watt. Rear speakers are Sansui SP-50, 20 from a boot sale. Got lucky with the tuner, bought it last year from ebay Germany for 70 inc shipping, Aiki AT-93. Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard, 10 from ebay.

The last time the Toshiba was turned off was to move in here 6 years ago. Until my T-Amp arrived last week. (30 ebay.) That 'cheap' amp isn't really, I was more or less happy with my system but now I want Charlize and Monica2, maybe even a HagUsb plus speakers that can really show off class D. Terry Cains' BIB in my little room should rock nicely. Still deciding which driver though.
Old 14th March 2006, 09:16 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

its pretty impressive how cheap some of you are Seriously though, some of you guys have done some pretty hardcore scavaging and built some wicked systems for the money. Well done.
Old 15th March 2006, 03:00 AM   #24
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by binarywhisper
its pretty impressive how cheap some of you are Seriously though, some of you guys have done some pretty hardcore scavaging and built some wicked systems for the money. Well done.
We haven't even heard from the "Titan of Tight", the "Pooh-Bah of Pinched Pennies", the "Living God of Garage Sales", namely "His Frugalness" Dapper Dave of Planet 10.

Now, there's a fella that can come up with the highest, low-buck sound on this (or even his) planet. Perhaps, if we humbly petition His Frugalness, he would favor us by casting a few shards of wisdom in our direction.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 15th March 2006, 03:46 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
pair jbl 52t-10.83$us
nakamichi cd/tape-20-something
pair tunnel reflex-10.84$us
jvc r-x300 receiver-7.99$us
luxman r-dat-26.99$us

some kind of fisher rack system
for $40 us with,cd, turntable,
tape, and vcr,
Old 15th March 2006, 06:59 AM   #26
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Been away (father-in-law died).... (87 dies in his boots, we should all be so lucky)

$500. Big budget, eh? This is such a big budget, i could slot in a whack of stuff....

Let's start here...

Frugel-Horn prototypes with Fostex FE108eS or FE126 (i prefer the 108, but it does need a bit more power) .... with cost of boxes $100. The RonHorn A126s are even better but use more wood ($120/pr) -- 108s were "used".

Class A trioded EL84 Class A PP based on carcass of "dead" Scott $40 for post + another $60 for Solens & bits. Or the RH84 monoblocks (about the same)

That leaves $250-300 for source... i have a nice NAD 5200 CD cost $15 (& some teflon grease) or the $100 Rega 2. Arm upgrade to Linn Basik cost $20 so far but i still owe. Grado cart swapped for NOS Imagewriter ribbon. Have to drag a decent $20-40 receiver out of the stacks to use as a RIAA pre. Lots of room to just go out and buy a DVD player like TerryOs and mod it up.... you gotta remember that the source is very important.

BTW, in a real room, with the music i listen too, at the levels i listen to them at, any of the horns above would be just fine, even if i had a budget 4xbigger. The extra budget would maybe go to better RIAA, a balsy buffer/linestage, and better source. Maybe a bit bigger amp, but the essence of that $500 system wouldn't change

dave
Old 15th March 2006, 07:02 AM   #27
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Some comments... The FR125s are great when you have an amp that isn't stellar, but the 3 speakers above are IMHO much better at letting the music out, when your amps get above a certain level, and the extra efficeincy means you can get away with some excellent small amps (and as seems to becoming more & more well established... amp quality tends to be inversely proportional with its output power.

And with chip-amps & a bit of parts scrounging, with a $500 budget one could easily be bi-amping.

The FR on the other hand will sound very musical with a lot of SS amps you couldn't stand to listen too with the Fostex -- that is their beauty.

I listened to a lot of those big black sansuis in there day and was never very impressed, maybe they deserve another listen....

That B2 is a pretty stellar find...

dave
Old 15th March 2006, 07:16 AM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Now systems below $100 are a bit more of a challenge (being able to work in USD instead of loons helpd a bit). The key here is to realise that you are going to have to sacrifice, so lets just aim for musical.

I remember some pretty stellar sound from my Dubloons (http://www.t-linespeakers.org/FALL/2buck.html), $2, and NAD 7020 with a dipole, & KPLU playing the blues on a clear summer night. It also played vinyl REALLY well with the beater Linn LP12 (but that is cheating -- i got $700 for that table). Not as good but still musical was the well setup & modded Pioneer PL512.

OK that was a bit over a $100 (at today's exchange rate -- but under when it was playing).

Use the same speakers, the same KPLU, and a little sleeper we discovered back in my hifi store days -- the 6W Onko TX220* ($10 CAD) and you have a real musical <$20 system. The Onkyo tuner is actually better than the NAD's but the rest isn't (i wonder how it would respond to a few tweaks). Price is right thou... and it has a mic in for when you feel like a little karioke. Lots of budget for a digital source (how about that $15 NAD) or even a decent TT (how about the AR with the bust arm + the Mayware F4 that needed a bit of TLC and one of those Grados....

* there is a little Toshiba that isn't far behind -- there are some little Hitachis that are good too (these brand-names don't get the respect in NA that some of the bigger players did, but they did make some gems.

And if the Dubloons don't float your boat i can probably haul out a half-dozen contenders that cost <$20 (i have a stash of RS 40-1197s & 1354s if i need to pull out some big guns )

Guys, i could do this all day, but its time to hit the sack.

dave
Old 15th March 2006, 12:38 PM   #29
westend is offline westend  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by binarywhisper

Have you made any mod's to your Panny? Do you use power conditioning?

I'm going to change the power cord because ... well it just bothers me I'm not sure that it will make any diff on an amp that has no reserve current capability but as I said, it bothers me. Such a chintzy cord.

I come from an IT background and my instincts tell me that power conditioning will likely pay off for on e of these amps. What do you think?
No, my present gear is not high-end and my mains wiring is good enough that I am hearing no noise or distortion. Bolder cable does Panny mods but a RFI filtering IEC socket and good cord is all you need IMO. They are available at Digikey.
Old 15th March 2006, 01:40 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Dave, have you considered writting a book on the subject? I think there would a small but consitant long term market for a book on doing audio on the cheap. Sorta like Mike Ohler's $50 dollar underground house book. Never a best seller by any means but Mike has sold over 75,000 copies over the year's and it continues to sell to this day. Hell, Mike made enough that he put on a $500 dollar addition and tripled his floor space

Just a thought

Hide this!Advertise here!