best $500 system I've ever heard - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2006, 12:33 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

The socks really helped clear up the mid range. I may start selling them on ebay as a tweak if Gram's arthritis doesn't get in the way.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th March 2006, 01:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Pretty funny. When I saw the thread title I of course started thinking about what I'd do if I had a hard $500 budget, and your system is pretty much exactly where I'd go. I've used the Panny receivers for quite a while, and IMHO they are unmatched in value at the low end. A DAC/Pre/Amp combo for less than many folks spend on cables. And while I haven't actually heard the FR125's, it would be my #1 choice based on what I've read for a simple/nearfield system. It wouldn't surprise me that if you listened to primarily acoustic/folky etc material this system would be extremely satisfying as a long-term solution.

If I had to pick the best cheapie system that I've actually owned, it would be the Panny with the RatShack Linaeum monopole speakers. I have 3 pairs of these as my generic 'music around the house' speakers, and they're pretty decent at their sale price ($100/pr on sale I think), but I don't doubt that the FR125's would be far better.

I do have to say that I'm very intrigued by the HiVi B3N/TB Neo/Dayton DA175 system idea that Pete Schumacher posted to the PE board. You just might be able to squeeze a pair out for $200 all-in, which would make them a contender in the $500 system space - the B3N/Neo combo shouldn't give up much refinement to the FR125, and the DA175's provide a dynamic capability that is obviously missing. Cabinets might push you over the limit, though.
Old 7th March 2006, 01:41 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

yep, I'd have to agree about the panasonics.

I read threads all over the internet raving about them but remained very skeptical right to the end. A truly great little reciever for the money. I'm going to pick up another off EBay, maybe a 25 as I have heard so much about them although the 70 with the HDMI input would probably be a smarter buy.

Part of the key to these amps seems to be feeding them a digital signal. It is quite plain sounding when it get an analog.

I beleive that the CSS 125's and the Panny combo are going to produce an amazingly cost effective home theater system. I have the money for better but I'd rather spend it on my vehicles.
Old 9th March 2006, 04:00 PM   #14
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default My "el cheapo system" (really)..

Free (as in gifted ) Oxford full range guitar/organ speakers. salvaged Seas tweeters. Salvaged 2 way cross over. ($0 total investment)
$40 for a sheet of plywood, free cutting for JE Labs baffles, ttl $40
Sony PS1 used as a cd player---$15, $55 ttl
Yamaha B2 amp, a great find at an even greater price $40, ttl $95
Technics tuner S3s (?), $12, ttl $107
cat 5 cable, $10, ttl $117
DIY turntable /arm $50, ttl $157
generic el cheapo interconnects, $10, ttl$167

big, ugly, but beautiful sounding.

If any are dismayed at the rising cost of HiFi, listen to some of these types of systems (all those mentioned previously). Real HiFi for little more than the price of some "ghetto blaster" things or "executive " type microcomponents. (Is "ghetto blasters" a politically incorrect or offensive phrase? If so, it is not intended to offend anyone in any way shape or form).
Old 9th March 2006, 04:36 PM   #15
spind is offline spind  Canada
diyAudio Member

"Yamaha B2 amp, a great find at an even greater price $40"

Wow, what a find! Wanna quintuple your investment (how's that for a new word??)???

Congratulations!
Old 10th March 2006, 02:52 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

ya agreed on the B2. A dead one is worth twice that

nice system, great job scavaging and DIYing
Old 10th March 2006, 04:54 AM   #17
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default b2 4 $40..

elsewhere I've told the story, but maybe I'll tell it again..

walked into a local pawn shop..saw a big Yammy , was looking for an amp suitable for running a stereo sub. Figured what the h#ll, bought it. Then did research and found out what I really bought ('') just absolute dumb luck....

one of the few times I've been lucky in audio
Old 10th March 2006, 01:09 PM   #18
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

speaking of amps and dumb luck, I once bought technics professional series power amp, for $50, for spare parts, dead, i figured those big trafos and capacitors are worth it
came home, opened it, replaced blown fuses, whoa! it works....
Old 10th March 2006, 04:39 PM   #19
westend is offline westend  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalJunkie

Uh! My heart just skipped..
I have an AU7900 and love it,I'd probably die if I found one for that cheap somewhere! Guess I gotta keep an eye out!
X2, awesome amp.
Old 10th March 2006, 04:47 PM   #20
westend is offline westend  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by binarywhisper
yep, I'd have to agree about the panasonics.

I read threads all over the internet raving about them but remained very skeptical right to the end. A truly great little reciever for the money. I'm going to pick up another off EBay, maybe a 25 as I have heard so much about them although the 70 with the HDMI input would probably be a smarter buy.

Part of the key to these amps seems to be feeding them a digital signal. It is quite plain sounding when it get an analog.

I beleive that the CSS 125's and the Panny combo are going to produce an amazingly cost effective home theater system. I have the money for better but I'd rather spend it on my vehicles.
I use the Panny XR-55 and FR125's for surrounds. For HT it works well. Playing DVD's in DTS mode, I don't know how it could get better. The Panny just delivers great, accurate power.

Hide this!Advertise here!