jordan watts mark 3 modules needing cabinets!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Er hi all, this is my first post I am a crt projector man so bear with me ok!

I got hold of a pair of jordan watts mark 3 modules. I need a lot of advice upon designing a cabinet for them. I went to the new jordan website and saw the konus designs which looked good but these are different speaker. Could anyone give me any advice on cabinet construction for them they seem to be quite powerful for full range drivers, 20 watts rms 40 watts peak 16 ohms if that is useful.

I will not pretent to know anything about this sort of thing but after listening to many speakers I wanted a pair of full range and this seemed a good pair to start with. Thanks for any help.:xeye:

The original Jordan Watts brochure had vented and IB cabinet designs and a suggested x-over for adding a super-tweeter. I have a copy of this so could scan and email if you wish (though this may be what Jonathan is sending you). From memory, I think the circuit was a single cap to attach a Coles or Celestion tweeter. There will be better variations now, I'm sure, especially if you investigate ribbons. Allowing the J-W module to roll off naturally seems a good option and would simplify things.

Colin's right about the brochure. The tweeter was a 1" dome (cloth) from Goodmans. DT3 I think. The Jordan-Watts module was supposed to be a completely adequate full range design but the tweeter option is a good one and they were never going to shake the house down at the bass end with only 4" diameter. I've tended to think of them as a really good midrange unit. The cone is aluminum. Ted Jordans next model was in titanium.

re Jordan Watts

Dear All,

As an aside i have a pair of extremely rare QED Titanium coned version of the Jordan Watts module which is in a similar sized cabinet to a JUNO.

These are in their original QED boxes.

They sound preferable to the Jordan Watts as i believe the cone is lighter and as a result goes higher in frequency.

This is not the QED company we know and love today.

They are the only pair i have ever heard of so must be extremely rare.

regards David

Thanks for all your help gents I am just getting my mind around it all now!

I will update you all on anything I do by the way no one has told me if these speaker are any good lol. I have listened to them and they are very clear but I cannot see how you can get substantial bass output from them, also the tweeter seems a good idea so i will probably go with that.

I have enjoyed them for over 20 years, never had the time to really get better performance out of them. Sounds like a good spare time task. I would consider recalculating the alinement and see how they compare with the brochure instaed of just going by it.

The glue used in the Jordan Watts do degrade over time. Mine has the yellowish glue that looks like contact glue for the cap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.