New idea for FR125S box - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2006, 09:46 PM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by westend
I started with the FR125 in OB, as well. I tried a few different baffle designs. At the same time I hooked up a few different drivers to better understand the OB sound. Using the FR125 in OB in an almost nearfield (6-10) alignment with the FR125 mounted low gave me the best results.
I have migrated to an aperiodic design and use the boxes for HT sattelites at present. The thread about the Northcreek aperiodic design and pics of a couple builds are here: CSS FR125S ... production units playing now... A thread on filters and crossovers for the FR125 is here: FR125S Measurements and Filters
I believe the aperiodic enclosure suits the FR125 and my use fairly well. Trying to get a lot of bass and low end dynamics from a 4" driver is like teaching a pig to sing...doesn't sound good and pisses off the pig.
Augmenting the FR125 would probably yield good results. The dipole from Planet 10's site might do it for me with some music. I didn't think the FR125 needed any help on the higher end but some have added a tweeter.
Good luck on the build.
I think you mean BIPOLE, sorry for the shout.

It's an interesting thing about the "pig farts" that some (myself included) have found with either the FR or WR125's in vented or MLTL enclosures. From personal experience and anecdotal reports, it seems to be amplifier related; i.e. problematic with both tubed and SS SE, but no issue with some P/P amps.

Dave's mini-onken design can be tuned to your room/system from fairly aperiodic to almost completely sealed by varying the amount of foam fill to the port slots. The "bipolars" were a 25L sealed, I preferred them overall to the onkens with either amp (best of all with the classA P/P EL84).

Rafal, interesting design - I tried something like that a few years back with a TMM ( PeerlessHDS /HiFi TN28) enclosure. If the box is small enough, you could probably get by with just a few layers of bending plywood around a curved rib frame. Using UF109 or any 2 part epoxy wood glue and the enclosure should be more than stiff enough, and resonances will be high enough frequency to be less of a problem.

Old 7th March 2006, 06:32 AM   #12
westend is offline westend  United States
diyAudio Member

Ya, Bibolar Bipoles, thanks Chris. They can be seen here: Another CSS WR/FR design -- The Bipolar Bipoles Any headway on the build Rafal?
Old 7th March 2006, 01:27 PM   #13
Rafal is offline Rafal  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I'm still tinkering with the open baffle. I realy like the sound of mid freq. but I'm working on improving the low freq and taming the high freq. a bit. If I can't reach satisfactory results then I'll try the BR. Or maybe I'll just try it to play around with it for experimentation's sake.

The thing is, the OB does give me quiet satisfying mid-low freq, but I want to make sure I can hear the upright bass (the really big fiddle) which is so often used as a foundation for jazz recordings.
Old 10th March 2006, 07:00 AM   #14
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Rafal, the CSS drivers are surprisingly flexible - Dave ran a set in his OB's last summer, but for the full weight of stand-up bass in an OB design there's probably no substitute for raw cubic inches:

the "Augie"

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/drivers.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!