HORN monster hybrid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Hi,, I was not sure where to post this, but mainsystem is fullrange so this must be the right place

http://www.peecee.dk/index.php?id=30705&noresize=yes

I have thought about it fore some time and when I saw Fostex FX 120 I knew this was it right away

The main system is 4 FX120, front loaded AND rear loaded with a ML Quaterwave

SUB bottom are 2 x 12" Visaton with Hypex sub amp

On top there is a small ribbon setting in above 15khz

I dont have the time or money to build it, but maybe it could inspire someone or be a subject to dicussion

Interesting project. Looks inspired by the Fostex "tallboy" dipole mini-array design (4 x FF85K + 2 x FW137).

I wonder if the project has been fully thought-out, or is a mere sketch. I'm not so sure about that hybrid front horn/TL, don't know why you would want a TL on the array when you have already have active stereo bass units.

tinitus said:
Why quaterwave when there is a sub? - I think its the best way to control the four fullrangers
My philosophy is that in a multi-way system, only the lowest drivers should be loaded in a bass-extending enclosure. You get all kinds of phase issues between the driver and the vent, then on top of that you add a high-pass filter and cross to the bass system.

To me it makes much more sense to leave the higher drivers in a simple open-baffle or sealed enclosure, even if you decide to load them in front with that horn.

If there weren't actively driven stereo bass units, then certainly a TL loading would be a good way to go (if well designed).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.