My take on FR125S in OB - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2006, 03:24 AM   #1
Rafal is offline Rafal  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default My take on FR125S in OB

Hi Folks,

I have just gotten a pair of FR125S from Tom Zurowski (http://audio-resolution.com/zhorn/). Thans Tom for the drivers and huge help!

I spent 4h yesterday putting together OB speakers out of them (approx22"x33") using 5/8" baltic birch ply.

It's my first expierience with OB and It's quiet interesting. The bass get's quiet substential when I put the speakers closer to the wall. When I compare them with my Tannoy Studio 800A, FR125s seem even more detailed and more time aligned. I just wish they had more"weight" to them (they are being driven by a gainclone which I built - middleshelf in a pic). I was intrighued by an idea of Visaton 200A in "Nobox" design and thought about doing something simillar but with FR125s. Has anyone tried it? Any recommendations re. woofer and crossover? I want to run the FR125s wide open.

Any other suggestions on optimizing my current design would also be hugely welcome.

Cheers,

Rafal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fr125s-ob-web-1.jpg (50.9 KB, 2823 views)
Old 1st March 2006, 03:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Pic #2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fr125s-ob-web-2.jpg (50.0 KB, 2253 views)
Old 1st March 2006, 03:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Pic #3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fr125s-ob-web-3.jpg (50.2 KB, 2538 views)
Old 1st March 2006, 03:57 AM   #4
maxro is offline maxro  Canada
diyAudio Member

oooh, I like those multi panel sides on your stereo cabinet.

Sorry, no advice on crossover etc.

What do you mean by time aligned? Aren't both single driver speakers? Maybe the port on the Tannoys causes a phase issue.

Max
Old 1st March 2006, 03:58 AM   #5
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Pretty speakers!

I haven't tried OB personally, but would like to someday when I get the space to. Apartments do have their limitations :/
Old 1st March 2006, 12:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maxro
oooh, I like those multi panel sides on your stereo cabinet.

Sorry, no advice on crossover etc.

What do you mean by time aligned? Aren't both single driver speakers? Maybe the port on the Tannoys causes a phase issue.

Max
Thanks Max,

I built the stereo cabinet too. I'm glad you like it.
The tannoys are dual concentric, so they "kind of" have one driver (it's really 2 drivers, on inside anoter).
By "time aligned" I mean that the FR125s make it easier to follow the melody. More natural that way. Tannoys on the other hand have wider and ruler flat freq. response and a LOT of oomph (2 90w amps(1/driver) and active xo in each speaker). theuy also don't give up much in terms of detail.
Old 1st March 2006, 02:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: My take on FR125S in OB

Quote:
Originally posted by Rafal
[B]I just wish they had more"weight" to them (they are being driven by a gainclone which I built - middleshelf in a pic). /B]
You might want to try increasing your baffle height, I don't have much experience with OBs, but the only OB I heared, that had sounded correct without extra bass support was about 66" x 22" plus two 12" wings - like the ones on the pic below.

cheers
LC

edit: but maybe the FR125s is just to small for OB, mostly they use 8" and bigger...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sabadieerste.jpg.jpg (43.0 KB, 2491 views)
Old 1st March 2006, 04:24 PM   #8
2litre is offline 2litre  United States
diyAudio Member

Rafal,

Nice speakers. Especially in only 4hrs. Kind of like a mix of the classic Japanese design and the NoBox.

I think my FR125's sound beautiful in open baffle too. But they just don't present the punch of a larger driver. Best for smaller rooms, which I happen to have aplenty. I'm looking to add bass drivers too but don't intend to let my FR's run full range. I want to cross them in the range of 125-140Hz.

I've built / used flat baffles, the NoBox and a baffle design similar to the one that lovechild mentioned. To me the NoBox style presented the best sound of the three.

With your FR's offset in the baffle and set low you're on the right track already. Should you end up with a bass driver you may have to build new ones.

A bass driver for the FR125 was sort of discussed in a recent post though OB wasn't specifically addressed. Like the OP of that thread, I'm looking at the Extremis 6.8 or Dayton RS200 in this application.

R/

Jim
Old 1st March 2006, 04:30 PM   #9
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by 2litre
With your FR's offset in the baffle and set low you're on the right track already.
Not for the top end. Unless you lie on the floor when listening
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 1st March 2006, 04:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vikash

Not for the top end. Unless you lie on the floor when listening

I was worried about that too, but I found that the imaging was pretty good and the soundstage didn't seem too compressed to the floor. The treble was very nice and clean.

Hide this!Advertise here!