Thoughts on Lowthers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am finalizing my speakers for my current project, a 12" Fostex woofer crossed at 200 hz to a full ranger, then a super tweeter coming in pretty high.

I am currently trying a couple drivers on OB, the Fostex FE168E Sigma and the FE166ES-R. Initial impressions are that the 168 is much more layed back and a bit rolled off on top, while the 166ES-R is a bit more forward and reaches a bit higher, (and has a gargantuan magnet). It may be more detailed, but it's hard to tell if that's not just the stronger treble setting it apart from the 168. The 168 is certainly made better. There also seems to be a tiny bit of distortion from the whizzer on the 166, though not sure if it's a log term issue or not. I wonder if a phase plug would help. Imaging is great with both drivers and neither are offensive at all, just different.

Looking further into drivers, I am tempted to check out the Lowthers. Looking at the pricing leaves me with the lower end of the Lowthers. From discussions, I think I'd fit best into the DX line, with the DX2 and the DX45. These would be a reach and I'd have to sell what I have to do it, but I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on these compared to the above drivers?

I'm trying to make a fairly quick decision on this, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much!
Layne

I have worked with the Fostex FE-164 and the FE-208 Sigma which are the older model of some of the drivers available today.

I have also worked with the Lowther DX drivers, PM6C and PM2C drivers, and PM6A and PM2A drivers.

I did direct comparisons between both the Fostex drivers and my pair of Lowther DX2 drivers, all in similarly tuned ML style enclosures. There was no comparison, the Lowthers sounded much better then the two Fostex drivers. Same bass output but more detailed and revealing midrange and top end. The differences were obvious and not small, even to my young son's ears. I have been listening to my Lowther based ML TL for a few years using each of the drivers mentioned above.

I recently changed over to a biamped OB design. I am now using a pair of PM2A drivers, replacing a pair of PM2C drivers, in an open baffle speaker crossed over to four 15" woofers at 200 Hz and the combination is extremely good. The bass is stronger then the ML TL, no surprise, but the quality of the mids and highs is very much the same.

Restating my exeriences, my Fostex drivers are the older models and could not compare to the Lowthers. Maybe the new, or a different, Fostex model would heve been more competitive with the Lowthers in terms of performance not price. If you are looking at entry level Lowthers you are going to probably pay significantly more then for almost any Fostex driver. You have to decide if it is worth it, I thought so. The other Lowthers you have not mentioned are the PM6C or PM2C, don't discount these two drivers since they are also very good and cost much less then the other series.

Hope that helps and as always YMMV,

Question for MJK

Hi Martin,

Do you use any filter/shelving circuit to get a balanced sound from the Lowthers on OB's? Or you simply use toe-in to control the tonal balance?

I plan to try the FE206ES-R drivers on OB's augmented with bass boxes or dipolar woofers, and one issue will be taming the rising midrange response of the drivers. I'll use a digitatl EQ if necessary, but would prefer not using anything for EQ if toe-in does the trick.

Best,

Kurt

Kurt,

I am using a DBX Driverack PA crossover and two Rotel RB-1080 200 watt amps. I use the DBX to set different crossover slopes for the high and low pass and provide a couple of dB boost to the woofers. I have tried the DBX's room auto-EQ but when it was all done I did not notice a significant diffeence from the no EQ response.

The Lowthers are running without any passive compensation elements between the amp and the driver, except the speaker cable of course. I am listening slightly off axis and have not heard any evidence of shout or rising response. I believe my OB system is balanced, like my ML TL w/ correction circuit, but is much more efficient and dynamic. Very loud volumes with minimal power input and very small driver displacements.

Martin

Thank you for your thoughts. I did look into your website while trying to decide if I should even go down this path.

The reason I ended up on the DX series route was at the recommendation of John Verhalen. He thought that for the $$, I would get the most bang for the buck out of the DX2.

And while I'm sure the newer Fostex drivers have something over the old, I'm not sure of that difference. As I said above, I'm seeing a difference between the drivers, but not necessarily a better or worse.

Basically, I was trying to get a feeling for if the Lowthers are worth it, because if I do go that route, that will be it for a while. Just want to be sure it's the way to go.

Thanks again...Layne

Just one more question -- Not intending to hijack the thread

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the info about your OB setup. It is nice to see that you are using high-power SS amps to drive the system. I'm going to use a JVC F-10 digital receiver to biamp the FE206ES-R OB system. Got to love the ability to remotely control the volume.

Did you find any noticeable difference in sound quality or flavor of presentation between the OB setup and MLTL due to the different radiation patterns of two?

Kurt

Kurt, I'm happy to share the thread. You've been a great help in the past as well. I ended up not going with the OB woofers simply due to breathing room. Just don't have quite what it takes to go to that level.

Martin, thanks much. I'm leaning in the "right" direction then.

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.