Anyone heard Philips AD50600/SQ8?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the information.
I just got two of them. They are great drivers, even they are already more than 30 years old.
Here are photos of AD50600

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They have a sealed tube behined. Probably they sound good even without enclosure. However, it lacks low end (well, it is only 5") and has a weak resolution. Maybe I will try to put it in 3D spiral horn configuration and add a tweeter.

Charles,

i had a conversation with a couple of guys from Pretoria while being in your corner of the world lately.
Those Afrikaner always have faces that look like exposed to nuclear radiation. Nice lingo, but if you try to concentrate you haven't got a clue what they are saying.
People in some countryside areas overhere talk very similar. Sort of like German and Swiss. :clown:

The 2 active motional feedback Philips loudspeakers were really good. At the time of introduction i considered buying the larger model, but refrained because of expecting bad resale value. Secondhand prices did dive later, and i got me a set for a lot less.
Wish i hadn't sold them to a friend, they've become collectors items.
A relative of mine who worked at the Philips lab also confirmed that they developed great stuff, but never figured out how to proper market it. I still have one of the first CD-player model, a pre-series item before it went on sale.

Based on the number of Afrikaner i've met in 25 years, more resemblance than differences. Not just the language. I feel very much at home among people from Pretoria.

I have a pair of mfb 544 speakers.
The Philips tweeters or not that good, they sound a bit edgy or sharp. I suppose because of the material the conus is made of.
You can upgrade those 544's nicely with a cheap peerless tweeter and of course you can change to quality capacitors in the passive x-over between mid and high.

Re: 544

Jaap said:
The Philips tweeters or not that good, they sound a bit edgy or sharp. I suppose because of the material the conus is made of.
You can upgrade those 544's nicely with a cheap peerless tweeter and of course you can change to quality capacitors in the passive x-over between mid and high.

Here , you have the schematic of the Philips MFB speakers...;)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5886&perpage=10&pagenumber=2

Re: 544

Originally posted by Jaap
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i suspect the amps are not as good as the tweeters,

for the higher hz, any way.

edgy and/or sharp sounds like electrolytic cap distortion.

:no:

It is always wize to change electrolytic caps in old gear. But I used those tweeters also in passive loudspeakers and they have that little edge. It has for shure to do with the material of the tweeter. After I changed the tweeters in the MFB544 for Peerless 811815 without doing anything else it sounded a lot better and less nervous.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.