New speaker type? OB-RLH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use a K type slot alright, but not in the way you are thinking. I use it to eliminate 1/4 resonance resulting from the pipe shaped baffle. I don't believe K loading the rear wave is the answer, but I don't really know enough about Karlsons anyway. I want OB and to the extent I can further lengthen the path for the LF of at least a portion of the rear wave, I'm ahead in the ballgame. If my expanding pathway acoustically amplifies that long route LF content, so much the better, because it's phase relationship helps reinforce the front wave.

badman said:
While you don't want to measure them, you really do need to to determine just how the acoustic loading is behaving. You're at that stage in the design. I'm all for designing by ear primarily, but measurements have their own value.

I guess you're right. It's a matter of getting the tools to do so and learning how to use them, however, the real solution is a better driver for the job, but unfortunately it doesn't exist.

Hello John. This sounds extremely interesting. I have three B200's, 2 in OB, the other in its box. I was thinking of getting a 4th, as someone was saying that was good for bass. Re upper band tilt, some people have stuck felt over the back of the drivers to even out the sound, and if you know Louis at Omega speakers, he was saying at some point that he used mechanical methods to do it, that he may pass on to you.

I'm intrigued to see what you think of the B200's once they're burned in, as I have been referencing them against One Thing Audio'd Quad ESL57's the ultimate OB design (!!!?):cool:

David,

Adding another driver and rolling off its top end is one effective way to do it. The compromise is the loss of pure point source sound and there are plenty of other drivers that would be better suited for the job and give you more bottom end potential.

Omega has gone a different route with their aperiodic box which is a valid approach too. The compromise for me with any boxed approach is the loss of the room interaction benefits of OB. If I was going to use a box I'd probably go with a largish RLH or MLTL and really take advantage of the potential bass extension.

I plan to try one more OB-RLH with the B200. I'll fire the driver into a compound reflector, which will result in better HF dispersion along with flattening the overall response. If I can get the reflector right, I should end up with a great speaker.

OB/RLH

Hi,

I am fascinated by this idea, and by the fact that it works!

I'm wondering if something like an Ace folded taper-pipe cabinet would work in place of the TL. I don't have the skills to illustrate what I'm thinking of, but the slot could load a double folded-voigt sort of thing and each of the tapered-pipes could be tuned separately.

Kerry

clarification

Just having happened upon this long-dormant thread, I seem to be at a disadvantage of having no earthly idea what combo U-frame-coupler-acoustic-bandpass contraption people were talking about when the links still worked.

Anybody remember or can upload even a paint-tool sketch...or maybe a steer to some other thread that was similar or otherwised evolutionarily related?

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.