Partner for the Jordan JXR6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am new to this forum and I have read some interesting threads about these new drivers. However I didn't find one that describes the best bass driver to match with the JXR6s.

Since 5 years I am building speakers for myself and since our house is full, I started building them for friends and family. In my last projects I used the Jordan JX92S in surround speakers and main speakers. I like the (almost) full range concept and wanted to experiment some more.
I am planning to use 2 JXR6s per box and hopefully one bass driver to support them in the lowest frequencies to about 300 Hz (1st order filter).
Do you have any experience or recommendations with/about this setup and what bass driver (max 7 inches) would go well with these Jordans (efficiency, timbre etc)? The baffle should not be wide (as wide as the bass driver with some extra centimetres for the side panels), so do I need baffle step compensation?
I was looking at the Scan speak Revelator 18W 4 Ohm (good efficiency), but I think the specs from the d-s-t web site for this driver are not correct (look at Fs and impedance graph). Also the Bandor 150 driver and the Visaton AL 170 are on my list of candidates. Do you have any suggestions or remarks about the idea or (bass) drivers I mentioned?

I am looking forward to your reactions.

Thanks,
Jack

Hi - I've been playing round with a pair of JXR6s for the past few weeks. They're a very neat solution for small, sealed designs. I believe Ted has been looking at the SEAS range. Bear in mind that the JXR6 is a 4 ohm driver, so using two per side would probably mean wiring them in series.

BTW, you may find you can use the JXR6 lower than 300Hz - in a 2.4 sealed cabinet they work okay to 120Hz, with a gradual rolloff below that.

Thanks for your reply guys.
I will have a look at the Seas metal cone drivers.

I thought that the Bandor 150 was a 6" driver and thought that the specified resonance frequency for this driver was too low for this driver size. Maybe I can use 2 Jordans and 2 Bandors per box. The effiency should match better then I think. I only hope that I can sell my old speakers for a good price, if I go this way. ;)

Greetings,
Jack

I don`t know the ATD Zellaton 7" from my own experience, but Fs 33 Hz and 16g mowing mass is something you don`t find often. I saw a link to the waterfall here, but it was already down. Comment said it is close to perfect up to 1kHz.

PS. It`s cheaper in Germany than in Italy, via Expolinear.

Regards, Oliver

jimbo said:
Thanks for your reply guys.
I will have a look at the Seas metal cone drivers.

I thought that the Bandor 150 was a 6" driver and thought that the specified resonance frequency for this driver was too low for this driver size. Maybe I can use 2 Jordans and 2 Bandors per box. The effiency should match better then I think. I only hope that I can sell my old speakers for a good price, if I go this way. ;)

Greetings,
Jack

The Bandors' model number relates to their cone diameter not basket diameter.

Hi,

Where can I find this ATD Zellaton 7"? I looked at Expolinear but didn't see it.

Otherwise, what is a very high quality driver no bigger than 8" that can reach really low? I.e. in a box, below 30Hz.

Hmm.. would a large woofer with a lower FS go deeper in a small box, than a smaller woofer suited more to the small box?

Cheers,

That link doesn't seem to work.

Don't get too hung up on using aluminium or metal cone drivers for the bass. A quality paper cone will also work fine. The Jordan-approved MJ Acoustics powered sub-woofers look as though they use pulp cones. Peerless get good reviews and the Critical-Q bass system was highly spoken-of by Thor on the fullrange forum, used in conjunction with JX92 satellites.

I thought it seemed a good idea to cross at about 250-400Hz so I could get good SPL from a single JXR6 and keep it as a point source, but my friend says even like that the JXR6 wont do very high SPL. What do you think?

He said he has a friend with the older Jordan small driver crossing to a larger driver at about 800Hz and even that struggles to get high SPL! Find that surprising really... He said it was alright for Jazz and vocal stuff but you wouldn't want to push some loud rock through it.

I don't mind, the main goal was to xover at a low frequency, but still get right up to 20KHz or higher. I posted in the full range section because I thought you guys would know most about the driver.

I think I will give them a go some time in a stand mount so SPL won’t be such an issue.

However my main question at the moment (posted in the ‘loudspeaker’ section is does anyone know how well either the Morel H10.1 or the Aurum Cantus work in the midrange? They both go low but I dunno about their midrange performance, subjectively.

Curious looking driver (I'm a bit hazy on the technology as Babelfish's translation was wacky, to say the least). However I think it looks over-specified for use with the Jordan driver. There will be a number of good bass units out there which will happily match up to the JXR6 anywhere from 120-250Hz. The Peerless/Critical Sub still looks a good bet and the SEAS, Scanspeak and Vifa ranges are worth exploring.

BTW, I believe Ted Jordan prefers the term 'wide bandwidth' driver to fullrange where the JXR6 is concerned. Still ... over eight octaves ain't bad.

I too am looking for a bass driver to mate with these new Jordan speakers. I would like to find something around 5” so the overall enclosure size remains small. My goal is desktop speakers for my office with an active sub for the bottom end.

After building a couple of different sizes enclosures (4 liter and 2 liter) and listening to them in my office I am not so sure these little guys are up to the task. Regardless of enclosure size they sound hollow and don’t perform well near field. It could be a circuit of some sorts is needed, but I don’t have the means to figure this out.

Not wanting to give up on the JXR6, I unhooked my main setup today and mated the 2 liter enclosures to some stereo Vifa subs I built a while back. Here is a link to the Vifa driver http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=7558976.2149&pid=1808 . I use a two channel pro amp and 4th order LR active crossovers to drive them. Rather then run the JXR6 full range I used the high pass on the active crossover to remove the lower LF, which allowed me to feed them more power. I played around with crossover points and like the 250 Hz to 350 Hz range the best. Note: From my experience this Vifa driver is able to play quite high. I was really surprised how well the JXR6 kept up with the 2 10” bass drivers per side and how well they filled my room. They image quite nicely and have good horizontal dispersion.

I think there may be something to this JXR6 after all. A two way monitor would be really nice and the suggested 7” Seas driver my just be the ticket.

The above success with the Vifa subs and my main listening room has somewhat restored faith that there may still be hope for my office PC speaker needs. I will do some listening with one sub in my office and see how well it performs. My concerned is the office setup will still require the higher JXR6 crossover point and my desk most likely is going to get in the way.

More to come… in the mean time, any other suggestions on small bass drivers would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• vifa-jordan.jpg
    vifa-jordan.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 273
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.