Partner for the Jordan JXR6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2006, 09:15 PM   #1
jimbo is offline jimbo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Partner for the Jordan JXR6

Hi,
I am new to this forum and I have read some interesting threads about these new drivers. However I didn't find one that describes the best bass driver to match with the JXR6s.

Since 5 years I am building speakers for myself and since our house is full, I started building them for friends and family. In my last projects I used the Jordan JX92S in surround speakers and main speakers. I like the (almost) full range concept and wanted to experiment some more.
I am planning to use 2 JXR6s per box and hopefully one bass driver to support them in the lowest frequencies to about 300 Hz (1st order filter).
Do you have any experience or recommendations with/about this setup and what bass driver (max 7 inches) would go well with these Jordans (efficiency, timbre etc)? The baffle should not be wide (as wide as the bass driver with some extra centimetres for the side panels), so do I need baffle step compensation?
I was looking at the Scan speak Revelator 18W 4 Ohm (good efficiency), but I think the specs from the d-s-t web site for this driver are not correct (look at Fs and impedance graph). Also the Bandor 150 driver and the Visaton AL 170 are on my list of candidates. Do you have any suggestions or remarks about the idea or (bass) drivers I mentioned?

I am looking forward to your reactions.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 25th February 2006, 06:11 PM   #2
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'd stick with metal coned drivers if possible, I'd be looking at the Bandor 150 (which is an 8" unit) or 100 if size is an issue, also look at the Seas aluminium and excel drivers.
Old 25th February 2006, 10:32 PM   #3
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi - I've been playing round with a pair of JXR6s for the past few weeks. They're a very neat solution for small, sealed designs. I believe Ted has been looking at the SEAS range. Bear in mind that the JXR6 is a 4 ohm driver, so using two per side would probably mean wiring them in series.

BTW, you may find you can use the JXR6 lower than 300Hz - in a 2.4 sealed cabinet they work okay to 120Hz, with a gradual rolloff below that.
Old 26th February 2006, 05:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have six of these sitting around: DAYTON DA175-8 7" ALUMINUM CONE WOOFER.

I might try two per speaker, paralleled, with the jordan. Vented box for the Daytons, crossed around 400hz. We'll see.
Old 27th February 2006, 10:51 AM   #5
jimbo is offline jimbo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply guys.
I will have a look at the Seas metal cone drivers.

I thought that the Bandor 150 was a 6" driver and thought that the specified resonance frequency for this driver was too low for this driver size. Maybe I can use 2 Jordans and 2 Bandors per box. The effiency should match better then I think. I only hope that I can sell my old speakers for a good price, if I go this way.

Greetings,
Jack
Old 27th February 2006, 11:02 AM   #6
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

I don`t know the ATD Zellaton 7" from my own experience, but Fs 33 Hz and 16g mowing mass is something you don`t find often. I saw a link to the waterfall here, but it was already down. Comment said it is close to perfect up to 1kHz.

PS. It`s cheaper in Germany than in Italy, via Expolinear.

Regards, Oliver
Old 27th February 2006, 11:43 AM   #7
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbo
Thanks for your reply guys.
I will have a look at the Seas metal cone drivers.

I thought that the Bandor 150 was a 6" driver and thought that the specified resonance frequency for this driver was too low for this driver size. Maybe I can use 2 Jordans and 2 Bandors per box. The effiency should match better then I think. I only hope that I can sell my old speakers for a good price, if I go this way.

Greetings,
Jack
The Bandors' model number relates to their cone diameter not basket diameter.
Old 27th February 2006, 05:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

And Bandor and Jordan cone resonance are a lot lower than you'd expect for the size of driver. Jordan's JX125 (5") cone gets down to 30Hz.
Old 3rd March 2006, 04:12 PM   #9
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Where can I find this ATD Zellaton 7"? I looked at Expolinear but didn't see it.

Otherwise, what is a very high quality driver no bigger than 8" that can reach really low? I.e. in a box, below 30Hz.

Hmm.. would a large woofer with a lower FS go deeper in a small box, than a smaller woofer suited more to the small box?

Cheers,
Old 3rd March 2006, 08:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Woofer size, box size and efficiency are all inter-related. In theory, a smaller woofer will have a better transient response.

I haven't heard of the ATD driver but as you're in the UK, have a look at the SEAS EXCELL line at Wilmslow Audio

Hide this!Advertise here!