Jim Griffin's JX92S designs - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2010, 05:23 AM   #171
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Default possible improvement in treble ( for those who don't mind taking risks )

If you take the faceplate off of the Aurum Cantus G2si and make a new faceplate with a suitable sized & shaped cutout so that the rectangular (ish ) body of the ribbon tweeter fits through it and mounts flush with the front, it sounds better - not only clearer but also cleaner - in fact very nice indeed !

There is a slight rise in output in some regions, so some may want to tweek the X-over . . . but to my ears it still sounds just fine with the original published x-over.

Of course this means that the ribbon is not now protected with a grille so each will have to decide if this mod is for them but if you don't mind taking the risk it is possible to reproduce quite sublime, smooth & natural sounding treble.

I'll post pics when I have made mine look a bit more presentable

mike
Old 23rd April 2010, 06:18 PM   #172
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
p.s.

I made my new face plate from plastic because from what I could understand of the design a metal face plate done in the way described above could short circuit the ribbon
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:07 PM   #173
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I intend to build the Griffin's minimonitor. I am not an expert (I can just copy) so forgive me for the basic question.

I have problems in finding some components for the crossover with the exact design value.
In particular I can find for L2 0.33 mH instead of 0.30;
4.7 or 5.6 microF instead of 5.1 for C2 and 3.3 ohm instead of 3 for R2.
Are they OK or should I find exactly the design values?

In addition I realized that there are very expensive capacitor, the Mundorf Mcap supreme for instance are 4 times more expensive than Mundorf mcap standard! Is it worth to go for the more expensive ones?

Thank you for your help

Renato
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:20 PM   #174
diyAudio Member

For my prototypes I purchased components that are in the middle of the price range for each items. Not too cheap yet not too expensive. The merit of expensive parts isn't worthwhile in my opinion.

For alternate part selection I suggest within 10% of the nominal values is OK. While parts within 5% tolerance would be better, your sources may not be able to satisfy this criteria without undue search.

Good luck on your build and I hope that you are pleased with your new speakers.
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:27 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I hope to get the boxes working as soon as possible, but I'll take some time, I am not very fast.

Renato
Old 23rd March 2011, 02:06 AM   #176
diyAudio Member

I went the inexpensive route with Solen caps for my first build. Later I went with Sonicap. I prefer the Sonicaps.

At the time I built my first set, Parts-Express had all the components listed in Jim's specs available.

-
Rick

Hide this!Advertise here!