Fostex FE127E vs FE126E vs FE103E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After reading and lurking and reading and lurking, I've decided to finally take a stab building my own speakers. I want to build a small desk-top speaker that I can use with some low-watt (2-3 watts) tube amps.

Seems like, from what I've read, any of these drivers will suit my needs. Just wondering if there is one that is clearly better.

Here's another thought... is one going to be more flexible than the others when it comes to experimenting? I figure I will start off building a simple bass reflex cabinet, then maybe a voight pipe, then maybe a folded horn.

I am totally new to speaker building and wood working (actually taking a router basics class in 2 weeks) so any guidence you can give is appreciated.

FE127E is best suited for your initial application, so I would go with that. Down the road you could add another pair of them and build push-push bipole TLs, for which there are at least a couple designs posted on this board.

AFAIK the 127 is the only driver on your list that is magnetically shielded, making it the obvious choice for a computer speaker.

bluegti said:
Here's another thought... is one going to be more flexible than the others when it comes to experimenting? I figure I will start off building a simple bass reflex cabinet, then maybe a voight pipe, then maybe a folded horn.
As an aside, if you are anything like me, your concepts of speaker design will change several times over the next couple years (especially if you make the effort to audition a variety of systems), so I wouldn't get too hung up on choosing one driver that will satisfy you forever.

Sometimes people will find their one "magic" driver and try a bunch of different enclosures, but I wouldn't expect that at this stage of the game.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.