Back loaded horn design (help please) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2006, 09:23 PM   #1
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Back loaded horn design (help please)

Ok this is not strictly full range but I want advice designing a back loaded horn and the generally used for full range designs so I guess the most relavent advice will come from this section.

I've been playing with hornresp but I would really like a bit of guidance as to what parameters affect what.

I have a pair of Volt BM251.4 midbass drivers www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk doing nothing, so I plan on trying to build a BLH cabinet to try and make them into something resembling a serious party speaker/good PA cab, my inspiration came for Cyburg's 'the viech'

I'll add a horn tweet later for the top end.

so how do I go about designing a decent BLH? what should I be doing, I want the smallest cab possible to hit 45-50Hz
Old 10th February 2006, 09:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

First stop: read Martin King's site. Everything you'll ever need. www.quarter-wave.com That will help you with understanding the theory, and to narrow down your criteria and establish exactly what you want to achieve. With the greatest respect to hornresp's programmers, I think you'll find this a whole lot easier to use, and more useful in learning terms too.

Best
Scott
Old 23rd February 2006, 01:01 PM   #3
robertG is offline robertG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Scoop

This driver could fit in a nice scoop type of cabinet. You will never hit 45Hz, but a good 80Hz BLH punch is better than a BR 40Hz.

The cabinet will be very large (by domestic standards). There is no such thing as a compact BLH especially for a 10 in. driver.

You can visit SpeakerPlans.com for inspiration as well as other DJ oriented sites.
Old 23rd February 2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input, it now looks like they will be used for some high quality PA speakers, I need to hit 60Hz so I'll have a look on speakerplans.com and see what designs grab my interest and how big it will have to be.

Hide this!Advertise here!