taking a W3-871S to 80 hertz - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Douwe is offline Douwe  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Exclamation taking a W3-871S to 80 hertz

Hello everyone,

I want to build my own computerspeakers and was thinking of a vented box with 1 or 2 tangband W3-871S in them. I think I want to put the -3dB point at around 80 hz but don't know if this can destroy those tangbands because its FS is 110hz.
Old 7th February 2006, 07:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello
In Cyburgs "Brick" or "Needle" the bass goes down to about 50hz with the W3-871S

greetings Tom
Old 7th February 2006, 07:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: taking a W3-871S to 80 hertz

Quote:
Originally posted by Douwe
I think I want to put the -3dB point at around 80 hz but don't know if this can destroy those tangbands
You've not stated the most important consideration: How loud will you play them? Are they PC speakers or for a full room?
Old 7th February 2006, 07:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Tom but do you also know how these speakers sound? Are the lower frequencies not almost fully produced by the bass pipe? And if this is so how does it sound ???
Old 7th February 2006, 07:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm going to use them as PC speakers and with 12 watt they won't go harder then 97dB if I should use one speaker.
Old 7th February 2006, 08:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Douwe
I'm going to use them as PC speakers and with 12 watt they won't go harder then 97dB if I should use one speaker.
I think you'll run out of excursion long before you get 94dB @ 80 Hz out of the TB's. Look at their efficiency and Xmax numbers. But are you being realistic? Do you listen to your PC speakers at 97dB?
Old 7th February 2006, 08:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Something that is apparently not well understood is that drivers mounted in BR's and TL's run out of excursion one octave above cut-off. That means you are going to get all of your distortion starting at 160 Hz if you are going for 80 Hz F3. Those distortion products are going to appear at 300 Hz and above. This is the problem with using a 3" full-range driver as anything but a mid-tweeter. I think that you should be happy with 80 dB for a pair of 871's, and this means the speakers 2-3 feet from your head.

Bob
Old 7th February 2006, 11:59 PM   #8
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Brines
Something that is apparently not well understood is that drivers mounted in BR's and TL's run out of excursion one octave above cut-off. That means you are going to get all of your distortion starting at 160 Hz if you are going for 80 Hz F3. Those distortion products are going to appear at 300 Hz and above. This is the problem with using a 3" full-range driver as anything but a mid-tweeter. I think that you should be happy with 80 dB for a pair of 871's, and this means the speakers 2-3 feet from your head.

Bob
This that based on listening or measurements?
Old 8th February 2006, 10:42 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have looked at a design called the brick(with one W3-871S driver) and this one is cut of at around 60hz and there is a peak at 120hz...... Speaker projects with Tangband W3-817S: Needle and Brick are these harmonics easy to hear? My objective is to make two cheap pc speakers. Ofcourse I want them to sound as good as is possible for the price i'm willing to pay.
Old 8th February 2006, 02:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soongsc

This that based on listening or measurements?

This is based on observation and theory. ALL resonant enclosures have a peak in the excursion plot one octave above cut-off. That's the way it is. This peak excursion is what limits the maximum undistorted SPL you will get from your speaker. The maximum undistorted SPL is far lower than implied by simplistic programs like WinISP. You need to look at the excursion plot when designing speakers.

Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!