Fullrange choosing problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

As a long time fan of Jordan drivers, I have used Jx92s GM MLTL style speakers with SE 300b amp. These are perfect match if you accept limitations of sensitivity and have max operation with tube .
Problem is ,are there any drive units in same price cathegory what has same midband clarity or better, as Jx92s in near same price level as Jordans?
Hempacoustics 8 inch seems to be with SPL and Frequency response just right.
There are some old opinions about Hemp but final conclusion/opinion of the driver is question? What about other alternatives ?Cheapest Supravox?

Papparazzi

http://www.zillaspeak.com/pioneerb20-piezo.asp

Pioneer B20 + piezo on back plus Sonic Impact amp is the poor man's version.

I like it plenty... today someone who loves jazz sat in my office comparing this to the Fostex 127e (which i think sounds better) and preferred the B20 in every way.

Never heard the Jordans... don't expect the B20 to be in same league... but it's cheap fun that sounds pretty darn good.

Peace,
Godzilla

PS... you can look at the Fostex F120 as a comparison to the Jordans.

Borrow an SS amp, or use an old receiver or what, to see if more watts make you happier with the Jordans. Little more overhead might be just what you need.

Offhand JX92S with lo-watt SET sounds like a mismatch. Many people are happy with moderately-watted SS (like Gaincard, gainclones) and JX92S, though.

"Offhand JX92S with lo-watt SET sounds like a mismatch"

Well ,mismatch is only in limited wattage ,should be about 15watts ,10 watts is suitable with Jazz ,Chamber ... etc ,not so massive music .
On sound SET/ Jordan j92 is perfect match both strenghts are in same area.

For alternative in same pricelevel Hemp Acoustics seems to be too good to be true when looking specifications .
Havent heard it?

http://www.hempacoustics.com/FR810HQ_10-3-05.pdf

Papparazzi

In the same price range? Probably not.

The best competition would be the fostex 166esr, more eff., a bit more dynamic, but probably lacking some of the "maturity" and "finese" of the jordan (and a bit of extension as well). Of course its no longer being produced.

For a bit more cash and with less extension consider the Veravox 5X, but again I believe this driver (and the 7X) are no longer in production either.

There is also the Visaton B200, but the freq. response is "off" much like a lowther (rising response) - so the impression of more detail would be apparent, at the expense of linearity. (..the Hemp's suffer this problem to.. and I'd personally pick a non-whizzer like the Visaton over the Hemp even with the price increase.)

The Supravox Bicone Sig. is simply more expensive - but much more linear than the Visaton.

So no, I don't think there is any fullrange (or even semi fullrange) that is as good as the Jordan at its price (- which is why I believe they increased the price of their driver dramatically around 2000.. no competition and demand exceeded supply).

Hi Scott,

I've no experience with the B200, though have been following posts on various forums as to its use and performance. Some experienced (and well regarded) experimenters who have used or heard the B200 claim it sounds little like its FR graph. A few reversible mods can smooth the response a little and some toe-in likely flattens it somewhat. Beaming is my concern; time to break out the diffusers.

Hmmm, looks like it would be pretty decent in a bipole aperiodic... if only I had the space.

Cheers, Raymond.

I think the Jordans are probably hard to beat in clarity and resolution. Other solutions would be at least two way speakers. Freastex seem to have gain some reputation, but I recall the price is really high.

I would recommend driving the Jordans with nothing less than 50Ws, and idealy 100 watts to keep amp saturation probablity to minimum.

papparazzi said:
Prices not a problem but of course about in same cathegory of price "About"

I Have checked AES Lowthers Visaton and Supravox. Best candidate seems
Fostex 206/207 MLTL desings in this level .I dont know advantages of Fostex vs. Jordan 4 inch? (Except sensivity!).

Papparazzi

Pappa,

Based on short(ish) demos:

I've heard Fostex drivers in bass reflex, horn and Voigt pipe enclosures. (Cain & Cain Abby and Single Ben and two normal reflex boxes)
The bass has been rather weak and the high frequencys somewhat whistling or otherwise artificial. I don't like Visaton b200 either. Especially high frequencys are far from neutral.

Have you heard or heard about Acuhorn:
http://www.acuhorn.pl/products.htm

www.stereo.fi imports them.

If it was up to me to deside your next project, it would definitely be Supravox :smash: I'd really like to hear them!

Or maybe you'll end up cloning Zu Druids ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There are many good full ranges... they all try to do the best they can of a next to impossible task. Which set of compromises you can live with determines which is best for you...

Perhaps the biggest compromise with the Jordan is its inefficiency ... a big drawback when there is a very strong inverse correlation between amp power & sonics...

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.