Mosaic a speaker box? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2006, 05:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mosaic a speaker box?

I have a pair of full-range drivers that are getting ready to enjoy a new home in what will probably be some BIB boxes or back-loaded horns. This will be quite a project for me since I am fairly new to all this, but I have patience and a small budget set aside.

My newb question: what would mosaic-ing the entire outside of a speaker box, except for the rear and bottom baffles, do to the sound? I love the look of natural wood, but my girlfriend loves to mosaic. We want some color in the living room, and I wouldn't mind having some different looking speakers.

We use certain types of wood, like thick birch ply or MDF, to make speakers that don't resonate, and it seems like gluing down glass/tile and grouting it all would also cut down on resonance, but would it be in a bad way? Obviously things would get a lot heavier, but I'm comfortable with that.

I assume also that it would probably have a different effect on a horn than a BIB than a sealed enclosure, etc, but maybe not. I wouldn't put any mosaic on the inside, even the visible insides, of a horn since that would change the volume and shape.

Sooo, any thoughts?
Old 31st January 2006, 05:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You would be making the panels heavier and also having 3 or 4 dissimilar matirials in layers (glue, grout, tiles and the original wood) as far as i know this is a good thing.

it should cut down on resonance quite nicely. I would leave the front baffle near the speakers themselves smooth though.

lets see pictures when its done!
Old 31st January 2006, 01:47 PM   #3
VadimB is offline VadimB  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually, putting mosaic on the inside of the horn may be a very good idea! Small flat pieces set at random angles will produce multiple reflections and possibly prevent formation of standing waves. For this purpose Fostex makes special reflectors, which are VERY expensive and made of plastic: http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/ind....10778&pid=311
Mosaic should be much better IMO.
One thing I would be conserned is mosaic falling off the cabinet, which is constantly vibrating. Make sure it's attached with really stong adhesive. I'm afraid just the normal grout is not going to hold over long time. I would look for some epoxy-based material.

Vadim
Old 31st January 2006, 02:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the support y'all! I'm moving to a house this week (no more worries about upsetting my apartment neighbors with noise!!!) and once I've assessed the damage to the checkbook I'm going to go after this project. You pointed out all the things I hadn't thought about...very helpful advice! I'll post pictures as soon as I started work.
Old 31st January 2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by VadimB
I'm afraid just the normal grout is not going to hold over long time. I would look for some epoxy-based material.
I second Vadim's recommendation
Old 31st January 2006, 03:23 PM   #6
moe29 is offline moe29  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to moe29 Send a message via Yahoo to moe29
i do a lot of mosaic work.

you can use plain Elmer's glue on MDF and get a VERY strong bond.

...great idea, i've thought about doing this myself.

keep us informed!

Hide this!Advertise here!