Mosaic a speaker box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of full-range drivers that are getting ready to enjoy a new home in what will probably be some BIB boxes or back-loaded horns. This will be quite a project for me since I am fairly new to all this, but I have patience and a small budget set aside.

My newb question: what would mosaic-ing the entire outside of a speaker box, except for the rear and bottom baffles, do to the sound? I love the look of natural wood, but my girlfriend loves to mosaic. We want some color in the living room, and I wouldn't mind having some different looking speakers.

We use certain types of wood, like thick birch ply or MDF, to make speakers that don't resonate, and it seems like gluing down glass/tile and grouting it all would also cut down on resonance, but would it be in a bad way? Obviously things would get a lot heavier, but I'm comfortable with that.

I assume also that it would probably have a different effect on a horn than a BIB than a sealed enclosure, etc, but maybe not. I wouldn't put any mosaic on the inside, even the visible insides, of a horn since that would change the volume and shape.

Sooo, any thoughts?

You would be making the panels heavier and also having 3 or 4 dissimilar matirials in layers (glue, grout, tiles and the original wood) as far as i know this is a good thing.

it should cut down on resonance quite nicely. I would leave the front baffle near the speakers themselves smooth though.

lets see pictures when its done!

Actually, putting mosaic on the inside of the horn may be a very good idea! Small flat pieces set at random angles will produce multiple reflections and possibly prevent formation of standing waves. For this purpose Fostex makes special reflectors, which are VERY expensive and made of plastic: http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=8373701.10778&pid=311
Mosaic should be much better IMO.
One thing I would be conserned is mosaic falling off the cabinet, which is constantly vibrating. Make sure it's attached with really stong adhesive. I'm afraid just the normal grout is not going to hold over long time. I would look for some epoxy-based material.

Vadim

Thanks for the support y'all! I'm moving to a house this week (no more worries about upsetting my apartment neighbors with noise!!!) and once I've assessed the damage to the checkbook I'm going to go after this project. You pointed out all the things I hadn't thought about...very helpful advice! I'll post pictures as soon as I started work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.