Help with a Small Mistake - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2006, 03:55 PM   #1
rhart is offline rhart  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Help with a Small Mistake

Hi All,

A friend of mine built me some BS cabinents for a Fostex FE206E (I know the 207E is better and I'll upgrade when I can find some for a good price). The dimensions are 20h x 9.5w x 13d. I just realized that the holes he cut for the drivers on each cab are not the same height. There is a 1cm difference.

Is this going to be a problem? I know I could just cut out the difference, but I'd rather not if this is not likely to effect the sound. I'd appreciate any help and comments.

thanks
Old 27th January 2006, 04:42 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

no, get some grilles and don't worry about it.

/sreten.
Old 27th January 2006, 05:20 PM   #3
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

What he said.
Old 27th January 2006, 07:07 PM   #4
The one and only

Acoustically it should be insignificant, but if you're like me,
asymmetry will drive you crazy.
Old 27th January 2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I had once a couple of little cabinets for FRS8s. I gave to a friend to cut the holes. One had 1cm difference in hight.
I conducted listening tests. The cabinets were closed box bipole so I could flip em for direct comparison since only one hole was wrong in hight. Well I could not believe the loss of focus when I listened to the missaligned faces vs right ones. It was much more notable than differences in horizontal movement of the cabinets in relation to eachother up to 3cm. My suggestion is to use bases with different thickness so to equalize the difference.
Old 27th January 2006, 07:39 PM   #6
rhart is offline rhart  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone. I'm re-assured. With the speakers set-up, I think I can either choose not to notice the 1cm difference (or tilt my head a bit). Or, I suppose I could simply adjust the stands. So long as they sound identical, that's most important. I'll post some pics soon. They're veneered with real rosewood and look really nice...now let's hope they sound as good.

PS Has anyone tried the Cascade Quiet Kote that parts express sells for dampling cabinents?

Randy
Old 27th January 2006, 09:04 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Nelson,

I can certainly sympathize with that. If a painiting on the wall behind the TV is but a fraction out of level, I can't watch TV until I straighten it.

I like sreten's suggestion of grilles as "black cars look better in the shade" (never mind the actual alludings)
Old 28th January 2006, 05:01 AM   #8
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Randy said:
Thanks everyone. I'm re-assured. With the speakers set-up, I think I can either choose not to notice the 1cm difference (or tilt my head a bit). Or, I suppose I could simply adjust the stands. So long as they sound identical, that's most important. I'll post some pics soon. They're veneered with real rosewood and look really nice...now let's hope they sound as good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another solution, if you have the right listening room, would be to place the speaker with the lowest driver on the South side of the room and the one with the higher driver on the North side thus utilizing the earth's curvature to restore the balance. If this doesn't quite fix the problem then placing shims under the your chair's right legs should allow you to dial it in. This all assumes that your listening position is facing West. If you live in the Eastern Hemisphere, then of course you'll need to completely reverse all of the above. A more detailed explanation can be found in my upcoming book: "The Art of Speaker Feng Gooie".
Best Regards,
TerryO
OTOH, it may not be a problem (sonically) in the first place:^)
Old 28th January 2006, 10:22 AM   #9
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If it really bugs you aesthetically (it would me), you could always make mounting rings 1cm larger than the drivers, and elongate the original holes.
Old 28th January 2006, 10:26 AM   #10
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I repeat, its been experienced and it creates a problem with image focus. It MUST be adressed.

Hide this!Advertise here!